Take your humble meatloaf into crispy and golden bites of deliciousness with our easy air fryer spam fries recipe! 🤩 Fry it, to believe it!
Spam is one of those unique foods that is truly unlike anything else: it’s a shelf-stable pork product with salty umami flavor that only gets better when it’s cooked.
In our Spam Musubi recipe (link), we go over the origins of Spam and how it rose in popularity.
Today, Spam has taken on a whole new life, with a variety of flavors and preparation techniques.
One thing remains constant, though, and that is that Spam is extra delicious when crisped! The fat in Spam caramelizes the outside of each piece when it’s cooked, making for a texture that is simply irresistible!
And that’s what you’ll get with the air fryer spam fries.
This recipe is simple and involves cutting Spam into sticks, rolling it in egg and cornstarch, and air-frying it to golden perfection. The resulting fries are salty, meaty, umami and all-around delicious.
Spam Fries Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
Apart from the can of Spam, you just need two other ingredients to make this crispylicious treat.
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
To add some variety to your spam fries recipe, you can substitute the classic can of Spam meatloaf with a low-sodium version or any of the following flavors: Spam Bacon, Spam Tocino, Hickory Smoked Jalapeño, Hot & Spicy, Teriyaki, and Oven Roasted Turkey.
Personally, I enjoy the sweetness of Spam Tocino, but perhaps Spam Bacon would be more to your liking.
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Spam Fries
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Make Spam Fries in an Air Fryer?
Making air fryer Spam fries is quick and easy, so quick that you could have the whole recipe done in less than 15 minutes! Doesn’t get better than that!
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-minute increments to your cooking time until you achieve your desired finish.
2. Slice the Spam into fry-sized pieces.
Carefully remove the Spam loaf from the can and slice widthwise into ½-inch planks. Then, take each plank and slice lengthwise into ½-inch wide strips.
3. Prepare your breading station.
In a small, flat bowl, crack and beat an egg until smooth. In a medium, flat bowl, add the cornstarch.
4. Bread the spam strips.
Coat each Spam stick by first dipping the stick into the egg wash and turning to fully coat it in egg. Then, allowing any excess egg to drip back into the bowl, transfer it to the cornstarch and roll to evenly coat all sides.
Repeat with remaining sticks of Spam.
5. Air fry the Spam fries for 10-12 minutes.
When the air fryer is fully preheated, add the Spam fries in a single layer. Air fry for about 5 minutes before flipping the fries. Continue to air fry for another 5-7 minutes or until golden and crispy. For an extra brown color and crunchy texture, add an additional 2-4 minutes.
Typically, we suggest brushing or spraying breaded foods with oil before cooking. However, since Spam is already filled with oil, all you need to do is flip it and cook it using its own oil.
Note: Spam is a precooked product, so there’s no need to worry about what temperature the fries get to before removing them from the air fryer.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
6. Serve and enjoy your air fryer Spam fries!
Once the Spam fries are golden and crisp, remove them from the air fryer and place them on a paper towel-lined plate. Allow any excess oil to drip off before serving.
These fries would be really good with any mayonnaise-based sauce, like an aioli.
For a quick and flavorful dip, combine mayonnaise, sriracha, crushed garlic and chopped scallions and stir to combine. The slight spice from the sriracha with the crispy fattiness of the fries make a perfect match!
If you don’t want to eat these as “fries,” use them where you might normally use bacon! For example, add them to a chicken sandwich to turn it into a chicken Spam club (of sorts).
A little bit of crisp salty meat would be good on just about anything!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: When the fries are completely cooled, add to a freezer-style zip-top bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then follow the instructions below.
Fridge: When the fries are completely cooled, add to a zip-top bag or airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: To reheat, add to a preheated air fryer at 375°F and air fry until they are hot and re-crisped, about 3 minutes.
Air Fryer Spam Fries FAQs
How to air fry spam fries?
To air fry spam fries, first slice your spam into long ½ inch thick strips. Then preheat your air fryer to 400°F (204°C). While it’s preheating, coat the spam strips with egg wash and corn starch. Afterwards, air fry them for 10-12 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Cook until they are golden and crispy.
Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Spam Fries
- 1 can Spam
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C).
- Open your can of Spam and slice the meatloaf into fry-sized pieces, ideally cutting them into long strips that are ½ inch wide.
- Next, get the egg wash and cornstarch ready. Crack an egg into a medium bowl and beat it until it becomes runny. Then, place the cornstarch in a medium-sized baking dish.
- Now, let's assemble the Spam fries. Dip the fry-sized Spam pieces into the egg wash and transfer them to the cornstarch station. Ensure they are evenly coated, and shake off any excess powder.
- Carefully place the breaded spam strips into the preheated air fryer, with adequate spacing. Then cook them at 400°F (204°C) for 10-12 minutes until golden and crispy. Flip halfway. For a more crunchy finish, add 2-4 more minutes (optional).
- Serve and enjoy your air fried spam fries with a side of ketchup or any condiment you like.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400°F or 204°C and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent burning the spam fries.
- Spam has a high oil content, so you don’t need to spray or brush the fries with oil. To ensure there are no uncooked white spots, flip them halfway through cooking.
- Breading Hack: Use a covered container to coat the spam fries with cornstarch. After dipping the spam slices in the egg wash, simply dump them into the container and shake it to fully cover the fries with cornstarch.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Vortex Plus to test the air fryer spam fries. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making the air fryer spam fries recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!