Say hello to your next favorite veggie snack—Air Fryer Green Bean Fries! It’s golden and crisp on the outside and juicy green on the inside. 😋 Fry it, to believe it!
If you’ve never had Air Fryer Green Bean Fries, you’re missing out, but now’s your time to change that!
Green bean french fries are a delicious snack often served at bars and gastropubs, consisting of fresh green beans rolled in crispy (sometimes cheesy) breading!
Not quite a healthy food but not junk food either, crispy green bean fries are a perfect dish when you’re craving something crunchy and satisfying with a little kick of nutrition!
There are many variations of these green bean fries, including lemony ones, garlicky ones, and cheesy ones!
For this recipe, we stuck to our favorite combo: garlicky and cheesy!
These fries are great for snacking while watching sports on TV, for serving to friends during a party or as a fun addition to your normal dinner table.
Basically, they’re good for all the occasions 😜.
Green Bean Fries Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
Here are all you need to make crispy air fried green bean fries.
- Bird’s eye green beans (french beans)
- All-purpose flour
- Garlic powder
- Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Parmesan cheese
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
We do not suggest trying to use frozen green beans in this recipe; frozen green beans contain a lot of water which will make for soggy fries, and we definitely don’t want that.
Stick to Panko breadcrumbs for the best crunch! Regular breadcrumbs will work too but they don’t have the same great texture that Panko crumbs have!
Recipe Video: Air Fried Green Bean Fries
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Green Bean Fries in an Air Fryer?
Parmesan green bean fries takes less than 20 minutes to make, so it’s great, even in a pinch.
1. Wash and rinse the green beans.
Add the beans to a strainer and thoroughly rise. Gently shake off the excess moisture but there’s no need to pat them dry.
2. Prepare the breading station.
Prepare 3 shallow, medium bowls. In the first bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
In the second bowl, beat the eggs with 2 tbsp water until smooth. In the third bowl, combine the Panko crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
3. Coat the fresh green beans.
To coat the beans, dip each bean into the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and finally, the breadcrumb mixture, being sure to allow the excess to drip off between each step. You may need to press the beans into the crumbs to fully adhere the crumbs to the beans.
🤩 Foodie Hack: Place the dry batter in a large container with a lid, add the beans, and shake until the beans are coated evenly (time-saver central!).
4. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
For a more precise cooking time, please don’t skip preheating your air fryer.
5. Air fry the green bean fries for 6-8 minutes by batch.
When the air fryer is fully preheated, add the beans in a single layer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to cook the beans in batches. Air fry each batch for 6-8 minutes, or until fully golden and crispy.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
6. Serve and enjoy your air fried green bean fries.
When the parmesan green bean fries are golden, transfer them to a plate and serve with a side of ranch or blue cheese dip!
Sprinkle the whole plate of green bean fries with some chopped parsley for a nice green touch that makes them feel even more gourmet.
Like any good, crunchy snack, we think these beans are really delicious with lemonade!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: When the air fryer green bean fries are totally cooled, add them to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 months. To reheat, follow the directions below (cooking them directly from frozen).
Fridge: When the beans are completely cool, add to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Reheating: To reheat, add the beans to an air fryer preheated to 380°F and air fry for 3-4 minutes or until hot and re-crisped.
*For this recipe, we don’t suggest storing them in a bag because the breading can easily rub off!
Air Fryer Green Bean Fries FAQs
Can I air fry green bean fries?
Yes, you can air fry green bean fries. First, coat your fresh green beans with breading mix, then preheat your air fryer to 380°F (193°C). Add the coated green beans in a single layer and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until they are golden and crispy.
Is it possible to make green bean tempura in the air fryer?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to make green bean tempura (or any other wet-battered food) in the air fryer. Because wet batters will melt off the food and down the grates of the air fryer, we only use dry breadings for food in the air fryer!
Is it possible to make air fryer green bean fries with no egg?
Yes, instead of using an egg wash as a binding agent, you can make a wet batter. To do this, mix a 1:1 ratio of water and flour mixture.
Can I use frozen green beans?
While it’s possible to make green bean fries with frozen green beans, we do not recommend them as they will be too soggy when cooked. Fresh green beans are much better.
Crispy Parmesan Air Fryer Green Bean Fries Recipe
- 0.8 pounds green beans 1 bundle French green beans, bird's eye green beans
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Wash and rinse the green beans thoroughly, but don't dry them. The residual moisture will help the dry batter stick to them better. Alternatively, you can coat the bird's eye beans with olive oil before dredging them in dry batter.
- Prepare the breading station. Beat 2 eggs in a medium bowl until smooth. In a medium baking dish, mix the dry batter by combining all-purpose flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Finally, place the Panko breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese in a large baking dish or any container with a flat base.
- Coat the bird's eye green beans by first dredging them in the dry batter until fully covered. Next, dip them in the egg wash, and then transfer them to the dish containing the Panko breadcrumbs. Finally, cover them in the breadcrumbs by pressing gently to ensure they stick to the beans.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
- Once the air fryer is preheated, carefully place the breaded green bean French fries in a single layer. Cook for 6-8 minutes until they are golden and crispy. You will need to air fry two to three batches to cook all the fries.
- Serve and enjoy your air fryer green bean fries with a side of ranch dip.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- Foodie Hack: Place the dry batter in a large container with a lid, add the beans, and shake until the beans are coated evenly.
- Pro Tip: Coat the green bean chips in batches of 3-5 beans at a time.
- Don’t stack your green bean fries in the air fryer as this can ruin the coating.
- You can use an air fryer liner if you want, but for optimal air flow, we choose not to use one.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the Parmesan Green Bean Fries recipe, but cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making air fryer green bean fries?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!