Better than garlic bread—Air Fryer Texas Toast—buttery, garlicky, extra thick and extra filling! Bonus: It’s ready in minutes. 🤯 Fry it, to believe it!
A perfect accompaniment to barbecue, fried chicken or steak, Texas toast is a buttery, double-wide slice of bread that often has garlic and herbs spread on and grilled into it.
The difference between Texas toast and garlic bread is that Texas toast is an extra-wide slice of bread that comes from slicing a loaf perpendicular to the length of the loaf, creating wide cross sections. Both sides of the bread are buttered and (traditionally) grilled.
Garlic bread, on the other hand, is usually made from a loaf that’s first been sliced down the length of the bread, then spread with garlic butter, baked and sliced into small pieces. Plus, Texas toast doesn’t always have to have garlic!
In this recipe, we make fresh, hot and crispy Air Fryer Texas Toast in barely any time at all, leveraging the convenience of the novel kitchen appliance to get every inch golden and crisp!
We also include the time and temperature for frozen Texas toast, if you’d prefer to just pop it in the air fryer without making it from scratch!
Homemade Air Fryer Texas Toast Ingredients
The best way to make Texas toast is with good ingredients, so don’t skimp out on the good stuff! High-quality butter, bread and cheese will make a huge difference, especially in such a simple recipe.
- Salted butter
- Garlic, crushed
- Parsley, minced
- Parmesan cheese, grated
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
The fresh parsley adds good color and fresh flavor, but you could also use a pinch of dried parsley or another fresh herb like thyme, if you prefer.
You could also skip buying these ingredients and just use frozen Texas toast! We have the cooking time for the frozen option down below.
The Best Frozen Texas Toasts
Here are some of the best frozen texas toasts brands:
|Furlani Texas Toast|
|Cole’s Garlic Texas Toast|
|Pepperidge Farm Texas Toast|
|New York Bakery Texas Toast|
|Sam’s Club Member’s Mark Texas Toast|
Recipe Video: Air Fried Texas Toast Garlic Bread
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Texas Toast in the Air Fryer?
Texas toast is a great addition to any dinner spread, but especially one with some southern classics like country-fried steak or catfish!
Whip up this Texas toast from scratch in less than 15 minutes. Or skip to the good part, by air frying it from frozen.
1. Preheat the air fryer 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
2. Cut your loaf of bread into 1-inch thick slices.
Using a serrated knife, cut the bread crosswise into 1-inch thick slices.
3. Prepare the garlic butter spread.
In a small bowl, combine the butter, crushed garlic, chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
💡Pro Tip: The butter should be soft but not melted, so let it sit out at room temperature for a while before using.
4. Spread the garlic butter mixture over both sides of each slice of bread.
Evenly spread the garlic butter mixture on both sides of the bread, corner to corner.
5. Air fry Texas toast for 3 minutes on each side.
When the air fryer is preheated, add the Texas toast in a single layer and air fry until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
Air fry homemade Texas toasts for 3 minutes on each side. For frozen ones, toast 4 minutes on each side.
If you want your toasts extra crunchy, cook for another 1-2 minutes.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
6. Serve and enjoy your air fried Texas toasts!
When the Texas toast is golden and hot, transfer to a plate and serve immediately!
Because Texas toast is a southern classic, we think it pairs the best with classic southern food and drinks!
The next time you make barbecue or ribs, pair with Texas toast for a perfect combination of smokey, buttery, and garlicky!
For a full southern spread, serve with sweet tea as well.
Don’t underestimate the deliciousness of Texas toast- it doesn’t have to be limited to dinner time. It’s also the perfect accompaniment to an omelet or scrambled eggs!
Enjoy your air fryer Texas toast!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Once the Texas toast has cooled completely, wrap tightly in plastic and add to an airtight container or freezer-safe zip top bag. Store for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and follow the instructions below.
Fridge: Allow the Texas toast to cool before adding it to an airtight container or zip top bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: To reheat, add to an air fryer preheated to 380°F and air fry for 1-2 minutes per side or until reheated and crispy.
Texas Toast in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you air fry Texas toast?
Though Texas toast is traditionally grilled, you can also cook it in the air fryer. For homemade Texas toast, simply preheat your air fryer to 380°F (193°C) and toast it for 3 minutes on each side. For frozen ones, it will take 4 minutes on each side.
How long does it take to cook Texas toast in an air fryer?
It will take approximately 6-8 minutes to cook Texas toast in the air fryer at 380°F (193°C), flipping halfway through. However, please note that cooking time may vary from air fryer to air fryer. Due to their proximity to the heating element, smaller air fryers may cook much faster.
Quick & Easy Air Fryer Texas Toast, Homemade + Frozen
- 4 slices bread 1-inch thick, or use frozen ones
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Preheat the air fryer 380°F (193°C).
- Slice your loaf of bread into 1-inch thick slices. You can also use thick-cut bread, such as French bread or Italian bread. Or better yet, buy frozen ones.
- Prepare the garlic butter spread. In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, crushed garlic, parsley, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Spread the garlic butter mixture over both sides of each slice of bread.
- Air fry Texas toast for 3 minutes on each side until golden and the crust becomes crispy. For frozen Texas toasts, air fry 4 minutes on each side. For extra crunchy toast, add 1-2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your air fryer Texas toast!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time. However, preheating is highly recommended to prevent your bread slice from losing most of its moisture.
- To quickly soften your butter, get a ramekin or mug and fill it with hot water. Then, immediately dump the water and add your butter and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap. The residual heat will soften the butter in a few minutes.
- Another way to soften your butter is to microwave it at 30% power in 5-second increments. If you see the sides melting, mix the butter until it reaches the desired softness.
- Don’t leave your Texas toast in the air fryer for too long, as it may get burnt.
- For extra crunchy toast, add 1-2 minutes to your overall cooking time.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer Texas toast recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of bread slices you are toasting. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making the homemade Texas toast air fryer recipe or perhaps the frozen one?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!