Make the best breakfast dippers with this homemade Air Fryer French Toast Sticks recipe! They have a crispy, caramelized crust and a fluffy core. 😋 Fry it, to believe it!
Our very first post in this food blog is the frozen French toast sticks air frying guide. It took us a day to shoot it using an iphone.
Making this recipe is more of a rite of passage for us. Now that we already have the right equipments, we were able to pull off a more mouth-watering bite shot. Just look at this classic French toast recipe.
I’m not going to lie to you. These homemade air fryer French toast sticks are 10x better than the frozen version. And it’s straightforward to make too.
It’s one of the best ways to bring new life to your stale bread for a weekend breakfast.
Cooking them in the air fryer helps them get extra crisp on all sides, and is a great stove-free, hands-free way to get breakfast cooked in a pinch!
In the step-by-step instructions, I’ll tell you a tip on how to avoid your French toast sticks from getting too soggy. So, stay tuned!
French Toast Sticks Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
Here are all the items you need to make crispy and tender homemade air fryer French toast sticks.
- Heavy cream or milk
- Melted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh berries (for serving)
- Caramel syrup (for serving)
- Maple syrup (for serving)
- Powdered sugar (for serving)
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
You can use any type of bread that you like. For French toast in general, we prefer day-old bread so that it soaks up a little more of the custard.
To keep these French toast sticks on the healthier side, we suggest these modifications:
- Use whole grain, multi-grain or sprouted grain bread (fiber!)
- Use milk instead of heavy cream
- Serve with fresh fruit that can also be eaten by hand, like strawberries or peach slices
Recipe Video: Air Fried French Toast Sticks
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Make French Toast Sticks in the Air Fryer?
Making French toast sticks in the air fryer might be the quickest and easiest breakfast ever, making it perfect for even the most busy weekday morning. From start to finish, French toast sticks will take about 10 minutes to make!
1. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time until you achieve your desired finish.
2. Slice the bread into 3-4 long strips.
Carefully cut the bread slices into 1-inch strips, about 3-4 strips per piece of bread.
3. Prepare the custard mixture.
In a shallow dish or bowl, make the egg mixture. Combine the eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon and sugar. Whisk well to combine.
🤩 Pro Tip: Use a medium-sized baking dish or any container with a flat base for your custard mixture. This will give you more room to coat your bread evenly.
4. Air fry French toast sticks for 5-6 minutes.
Once all the French toast sticks have been dipped and are in a single layer in the air fryer basket, air fry for 2-3 minutes or until slightly golden on the first side. Then, carefully flip the French toast sticks and continue to air fry until golden and crisp, about 2-3 more minutes.
💡Pro Tip: Don’t leave your bread slices in the custard mixture for too long. They will become too soggy and might break apart when you transfer them to the air fryer. For the best results, transfer the bread slices to the air fryer immediately after dipping them in the custard mixture.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
5. Serve and enjoy your air fried French toast sticks!
When the air fryer French toast sticks are golden, transfer to a plate and serve immediately with the dip of choice!
Craving chocolate? Who isn’t!
To make your French toast chocolatey, add 1 tbsp cocoa powder to the custard mixture, and be sure to dip into chocolate syrup or fudge! Serve with strawberries, which can be dipped too!
Chocolate French toast sticks may be more on the dessert side of breakfast, but they will certainly be a delicious treat.
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Once the French toast sticks have cooled completely, add to an airtight container or freezer-safe zip top bag. Store for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and follow the instructions below.
Fridge: Allow the air fried French toast sticks to cool before adding them to an airtight container or zip top bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: To reheat, add the French toast sticks to an air fryer preheated to 350°F and air fry for 1-2 minutes per side or until reheated and crispy.
French Toast Sticks in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you air fry French toast sticks?
Yes, you can air fry French toast sticks. First, preheat your air fryer to 380°F (193°C). Then, prepare the egg mixture by combining milk, eggs, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla extract. Next, cut your bread slices into strips and soak them in the egg mixture. After that, carefully place the soaked bread sticks into the preheated air fryer and cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
How long does it take to air fry homemade French toast sticks?
It will take about 5-6 minutes to fully cook French toast sticks in the air fryer at 380°F (193°C). Please note that cooking time may vary depending on the number of servings and the type and size of your air fryer.
Homemade Air Fryer French Toast Sticks Recipe
- 4 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Fresh berries
- Powdered sugar
- Caramel syrup
- Maple syrup
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
- Cut each slice of bread into 3-4 long strips.
- Prepare the custard mixture: In a shallow dish or bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, ground cinnamon, melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- Then dip each strip of bread into the custard mixture, making sure all sides are coated. Immediately transfer the coated bread slices into the preheated air fryer to prevent them from breaking apart.
- Air fry French toast sticks for 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until golden and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy air fried French toast sticks! Drizzle your favorite syrup, add your choice of fruit, or better yet, sprinkle some powdered sugar.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You may also skip preheating by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time. However, be sure to check the French toast sticks constantly to prevent them from getting charred.
- The best bread to use for any French toast is brioche. However, for a cheaper and healthier option, you can substitute it with multi-grain or any other type of bread that is readily available.
- Pro Tip: To prevent the bread strips from getting soggy, don’t soak them for too long. Also, to prevent them from breaking apart, transfer the coated bread slices into the preheated air fryer right away.
- For even coating, choose a medium-sized baking dish or any container with a flat base for your custard mixture, allowing more room to dip your bread.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer French toast sticks recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making air fryer French toast sticks?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!