Experience the burst of flavors in Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters. With their irresistible juiciness, these delights are a guaranteed hit. Get ready to fry it to believe it!
Notes: We are currently in the development and testing stage for this air fryer barbecue chicken leg quarters recipe. Stay tuned for more updates. If you have any tips on making this dish even better, please leave us a comment below. We appreciate your input!
Here’s a video of a similar recipe that we’re going for.
Ingredients for air fryer BBQ chicken leg quarters
Here are all you need to make air fried BBQ Chicken Quarters.
- Chicken leg quarters
- Olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Black pepper
- Barbecue sauce
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
If you want to make your own BBQ sauce, go for it! I bet it’ll taste better than any store-bought barbecue sauce.
But if you don’t have a recipe for a homemade sauce, check out Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings. In the said recipe, we made our own barbecue sauce, and it’s goooooooood. Feel free to try it.
How to Cook BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters in an Air Fryer?
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, set your desired temperature then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
🚨 Important: Reduce the cooking temperature to 380°F (193°C) if you’re using a 4-quart air fryer or smaller. They are hotter due to the heating element being closer to the food.
2. Prepare the ingredients.
In a bowl, mix the oil and spices together: olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Refer to the recipe card below for the exact measurements.
This flavorful spice blend will elevate the taste of your chicken leg quarters.
Pat the chicken leg quarters dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Doing so will help the spices and sauce stick better and prevent sogginess during air frying.
Brush the spice blend on the chicken leg quarters, ensuring every nook and cranny is coated with those delicious flavors.
3. Air fry the BBQ chicken leg quarters for 10 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC).
Place the seasoned chicken leg quarters in the air fryer. Make sure they’re arranged in a single layer to encourage even cooking.
Air fry the chicken leg quarters at 400ºF (204ºC) for 20 mins. This initial cooking time will give the chicken a head start on getting that perfect crispy skin.
Brush barbecue sauce on the chicken after 20 minutes. Flip the chicken quarters and brush the other side with barbecue sauce.
Cook for another 5 – 10 minutes until the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165ºF (174ºC) and the sauce is nicely caramelized.
📝 Note: If you want to serve it with more bbq sauce on the side, use a different sauce from the one you used for basting.
4. Serve & Enjoy!
Once the chicken leg quarters are done, remove them from the air fryer and let them rest for a couple of minutes. Doing so allows the juices to redistribute, keeping the chicken moist and flavorful.
Serve your Air Fried BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters with your favorite side dishes. These juicy and crispy chicken leg quarters will steal the show, whether it’s some creamy coleslaw, garlic mashed potatoes, or a fresh green salad.
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: If you have leftovers, you can freeze any air fried barbecue chicken leg quarters for up to 2 months. Let them cool to room temp and place them in a Ziploc container. Then, you can safely store the chicken in the freezer. Before reheating, it’s ideal to thaw them in the fridge overnight.
Fridge: Leftovers can stay in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: To reheat (including thawed version), simply pop the cooked chicken in the air fryer. Then, air fry at 400ºF (204ºC) for 7 – 10 minutes or until warmed through.
Easy Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the spice blend. Mix the olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Season the chicken. Pat the chicken leg quarters dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Brush the spice mixture on the chicken leg quarters, ensuring they’re evenly coated.
- Air fry the BBQ chicken leg quarters. Place the chicken quarters in the air fryer in a single layer. Air fry for 20 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC).
- After 20 minutes, baste the chicken leg quarters with barbecue sauce. Flip the chicken, and brush the other side with more BBQ sauce. Continue air frying for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer. Ensure it reaches a minimum of 165ºF (74ºC) to guarantee they're fully cooked. Otherwise, increment the cooking time by 3 until it reaches the safe temp.
- Once cooked, remove them from the air fryer. Then, let the chicken rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy your irresistibly delicious air fried BBQ chicken leg quarters with your favorite side dishes!
- Remember that cooking durations may differ depending on the chicken’s thickness and your air fryer’s size and model. Before serving, ensure it has been cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually to prevent burning the BBQ chicken leg quarters.
- I used a 6-quart (air fryer) to test the barbecue chicken leg quarters. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the BBQ chicken leg quarters air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!