Elevate your breakfast game with this delectable Air Fryer French Toast recipe that boasts a crispy exterior and a creamy custard-like interior. 🤩 Fry it, to believe it!
French toast is a classic breakfast delight that shares a lot of similarities with bread pudding. It’s a custard-soaked slice of bread, pan-fried and served with powdered sugar or maple syrup.
Given its delicate qualities, we weren’t sure if making air fryer French toast would work, but boy, we were wrong!
What we learned after a few tests is that French toast is better cooked in the air fryer than on the stove! The circulating air of the air fryer ensures that the entire piece of bread gets crisp and golden, from corner to corner!
The center of the bread remains soft and tender, but the outside benefits from an awesome crunch that you almost never get when pan-frying in butter!
In fact, we’ve also tried making air fryer French toast sticks and the outcome was equally amazing!
Somehow, using the air fryer avoids all the sogginess of traditionally-cooked French toast, creating the BEST French toast we’ve ever had!
French Toast Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
The ingredients you’ll need for air fryer French toast are the same as what you’d need for regular French toast! Simple and mostly pantry staples, you’ll need:
- Melted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Cinnamon powder
- Fresh berries
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
We used brioche bread, but really any bread will do. If the bread is a day or two old, it helps the bread absorb more custard without getting too soggy!
Some other fun optional toppings are chopped toasted nuts, chocolate syrup, and banana slices!
To really make it decadent, use all 3 together! Add whipped cream and you’ve got banana split French toast 🤯.
Recipe Video: Air Fried French Toast
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Make French Toast in the Air Fryer?
Air frying French toast takes less than 15 minutes.
That means you’re saving time that you’d normally be standing over the stove, trying to prevent your French toast from burning; your air fryer is taking care of all the hard work!
1. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time until you achieve a golden brown finish.
2. Prepare the custard mixture.
In a shallow baking dish or bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, melted butter and cinnamon. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
3. Coat the bread slices with egg mixture
When the air fryer is preheated, coat both sides of each bread slice in the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off, and then transfer the coated bread directly to the air fryer basket.
🤩 Pro Tip: Use a medium-sized baking dish or any container with a flat base for your custard mixture. This will give you more room to coat your bread evenly.
4. Air fry French toasts for 6-8 minutes.
When all the slices are coated and in the air fryer, air fry for 6-8 minutes, carefully flipping halfway. The French toast should be crisp and golden on both sides.
💡Pro Tip: Don’t leave your bread slices in the custard mixture for too long. They will become too soggy and might break apart when you transfer them to the air fryer. For the best results, transfer the bread slices to the air fryer immediately after dipping them in the custard mixture.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
5. Serve and enjoy your air fried French toasts.
When the air fryer French toasts are done cooking, transfer it to a plate and serve immediately with the toppings and sauces of choice!
If you’re looking to add a little protein to your French toast situation, nuts are the perfect addition!
A healthy dose of nuts brings protein and other nutrients, like fiber and unsaturated fats! Add some toasted sliced almonds to the top of your French toast to add a delicate crunch and toastiness, while also getting some added nutrients!
How About French Toast Sticks?
You can take your French toast even further by making these breakfast dippers. The only difference with air fryer French toast sticks is you need to slice the bread into strips.
Now, here’s the best part.
Apart from the traditional fruits and berries, you can also sprinkle powdered sugar and serve delicious dips like Nutella, caramel, or chocolate. Yum!! 😋
Just so you know, we’ve also tried frozen French toast sticks, but making one from scratch yields a better result.
Ohh, I almost forgot about Yogurt French Toasts. They are a viral recipe that did not disappoint. Check them out.
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Once the air fried French toast has cooled completely, wrap tightly in plastic and add to an airtight container or freezer-safe zip top bag. Store for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and follow the instructions below.
Fridge: Allow the toast to cool before adding it to an airtight container or zip top bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: To reheat, add to an air fryer preheated to 350°F and air fry for 1-2 minutes per side or until reheated and crispy.
French Toast In Air Fryer FAQs
Can you make French toast in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make French toast in the air fryer. It’s way better than pan-frying them with butter. The exterior is crispier and the core has a cake-like texture.
How to air fry French toasts?
To air fry French toast, start by preheating your air fryer to 380°F (193°C) and preparing the custard mixture. Next, soak each bread slice in the custard mixture, then transfer it immediately into the preheated air fryer. Bake for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
How long does it take to cook French toast in an air fryer?
It will take about 5-6 minutes to fully cook French toast bread slices in a preheated air fryer. However, that doesn’t include preparing the egg mixture.
How many calories are there in one slice of French toast?
In every slice of French toast, there are approximately 80-90 calories.
The Best Air Fryer French Toast Recipe +Video
- 4 sllices bread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Fresh berries
- Maple syrup
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
- In a shallow dish or a bowl prepare the custard mixture. Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, sugar and melted butter until well combined.
- Dip each slice of bread into the custard mixture and allow them to soak for a few seconds on each side, making sure they are fully coated with the mixture.
- Immediately after soaking your favorite slice of bread, air fry them for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Serve your air fried French toast with a drizzle of maple syrup and a side of berries and nuts. Enjoy!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You may also skip preheating by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time. However, be sure to check the toast constantly to prevent them from getting charred.
- Brioche bread will work best for making French toasts. However, for a cheaper and healthier option, you can substitute it with multi-grain or any other type of bread that is readily available.
- Pro Tip: Don’t soak the bread slices in the egg mixture for too long, otherwise, it will become soggy. If possible, place them in the preheated air fryer right after soaking each bread slice.
- For even coating and convenience, choose a medium-sized baking dish or any container with a flat base for your custard mixture, allowing more room to dip your bread.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer French toast recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the air fryer French toast recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!