Let me teach you how to toast bread in the air fryer. You’ll be amazed at how quick and easy it is! 🤯 Fry it, to believe it!
Can you toast bread in an air fryer?
To give you a quick answer, yes, you can toast any type of bread slice in the air fryer. And you’re not just limited to a humble bread slice; it can also handle bagels or larger slices of baguette.
In this post, I’ll guide you through the process of creating a perfectly golden and crispy air fryer toast.
We’ll also explore ways to make the most of your air fryer’s toasting functions.
If you’re in a rush, you can go straight to the cooking instructions for the exact cooking time and temperature.
See also: How to Toast Bagel in the Air Fryer
For starters, let’s make a simple toast from your favorite bread slice.
Simple Air Fryer Toast Ingredients
- Garlic (optional)
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
The garlic here is totally optional, but definitely adds a little fancy flair to your normal toast situation!
Obviously, you can use any type of bread that you want to toast. The sky’s the limit with the bread options here, so get creative!
Just know that depending on the sugar content in the bread, it might toast at a different rate. For example, if you’re toasting cinnamon raisin bread, it will toast faster than regular white sandwich bread.
Video: Can You Toast Bread in an Air Fryer?
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Toast Bread in the Air Fryer?
Making toast in an air fryer is just as good if not better than using a toaster, and you’ll have beautiful toast in less than 5 minutes!
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
You may also skip this step by adding 1-2 minutes to your overall cooking time until you achieve your desired level of toastiness.
2. Spread butter on your bread slice.
If you’d like to add a little garlicky tang, first rub your bread with a clove of garlic. If not, skip straight to buttering one side of the bread.
The butter will help get a really gorgeous color on the toast, and it bakes in so beautifully while in the air fryer (which, by the way, is not something you can do in a toaster 😉).
3. Toast bread in air fryer for 3-4 minutes.
When your air fryer is preheated, add your bread, butter side up, in a single layer and toast for 3-4 minutes or until the toast reaches your desired shade.
If you prefer a lightly toasted bread slice, aim for 2-3 minutes of toasting. For a darker and crispier result, the ideal cooking time would be 4-5 minutes.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
4. Serve and enjoy your air fryer toasted bread!
When your toast is perfectly toasty, remove and serve immediately!
If you are using the garlic, a great way to finish the toast would be with fresh tomato bruschetta!
Combine freshly chopped tomatoes with basil, olive oil and salt, and you’ve got a mind-blowingly-delicious and fresh topping that is perfect for a warm summer day!
You could even use your toast as part of BLT! 🤩
Simply make the bacon in the air fryer first, then toast your bread. Add lettuce and tomato and you’ve got the world’s best sandwich!
Suggested Cooking Times & Temperature
As a general rule, always preheat your air fryer for a faster and more accurate cooking time. If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat button, simply run it without food for 4-5 minutes.
|Toast Level||Cooking Time||Temperature||Notes|
|Light||2-3 minutes||400°F (204°C)||preheated|
|Medium||3-4 minutes||400°F (204°C)||preheated|
|Extra Crispy||4-5 minutes||400°F (204°C)||preheated|
Please note that the provided cooking times are estimates. It’s important to consider that smaller air fryers may cook faster due to the proximity of the heating element to the food. For reference, I conducted these tests using a 6-quart air fryer.
To achieve the best results, it is recommended to start with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
For frozen bread slices, simply add 2-3 minutes.
More Ways to Enjoy an Air Fryer Toast
As promised, here are a few more toast recipes that you might want to consider trying out.
French Toast Sticks
Cheesy Egg Toast
Freezing & Storage
We don’t recommend freezing your toasted bread.. Instead freeze the bread.
Freezing: Bread can be frozen in a whole loaf, wrapped in plastic, for up to 3 months. To defrost, simply leave in the refrigerator overnight.
Fridge: Allow your toast to cool before transferring it to a zip-top bag or airtight container for up to 5 days.
Reheating: To reheat your toast, simply add to an air fryer preheated to 375ºF for 1-2 minutes or until hot and re-crisped!
Toast in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you toast bread in an air fryer?
Yes, you can toast bread in an air fryer. It will only take less than 5 minutes to toast your favorite slice of bread in the air fryer.
How to make toast in an air fryer?
To make toast in the air fryer, first preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C). Then spread butter on one side of your bread slices, if desired. Toast for 3-4 minutes until golden and crispy.
How long does it take to toast bread in an air fryer?
It takes 3-4 minutes to toast a bread slice in a preheated air fryer at 400°F (204°C). If you choose not to preheat your air fryer, simply add 1-2 minutes. However, constantly check your toasts to prevent them from getting burnt.
How to Toast Bread in the Air Fryer (Under 4 Minutes)
- 4 slices bread any type
- 1 tablespoon butter softened or spreadable
- 1 clove garlic optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C).
- Get your bread slices ready. Any type of bread will do. Spread butter on one side of each bread slice, if desired.
- Air fry toasts for 3-4 minutes until golden and the sides become crispy.
- Serve and enjoy your air fryer toasted bread!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400°F (204°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 1-2 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent burning the toasts.
- Lightly Toasted: 2-3 Minutes
- Medium Toasted: 3-4 Minutes
- Extra Crispy: 4-5 Minutes
- To quickly soften your butter, get a ramekin or mug and fill it with hot water. Then, immediately dump the water and add your butter and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap. The residual heat will soften the butter in a few minutes.
- Another way to soften your butter is to microwave it at 30% power in 5-second increments. If you see the sides melting, mix the butter until it reaches the desired softness.
- Do not leave the toasts in the air fryer for too long as they can quickly become burnt. Remove them right away once they are golden brown and crispy.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test toasted bread in the air fryer. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. A smaller air fryer will cook more quickly. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making toasted bread in the air fryer?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!