This Instant Pot inspired air fryer breaded chicken wings recipe will capture the taste buds of fried chicken lovers, so crunchy and flavorful! 😋 Fry it to believe it!
The air fryer breaded chicken wings recipe was inspired by a similar recipe that Instant Pot published on their site. We primarily use the Instant Pot Vortex air fryer, so we wanted to try this really delicious-looking recipe for breaded wings.
After making it, we felt that we could do a little bit better, so we decided to bring this awesome improved recipe to the Fry It community!
Let’s be honest…breaded chicken, in general, is delicious.
Whether you’re crisping up a thin chicken cutlet in a pan or deep-frying batter-dipped chicken pieces, you know you’re in for a great meal when you’ve got some form of breaded chicken on your plate.
When you air fry breaded chicken, you not only speed up the process but you avoid the extra calories from the oil in frying!
Chicken wings are one of the juiciest pieces of chicken, having a high ratio of bone to meat, and they are absolutely amazing when breaded and air fried.
This recipe is as simple as preparing the breadcrumb mixture (that we’ve loaded with flavor), breading the wings and air frying!
You’ll be sure to impress friends and family alike with these golden brown and crispy chicken wings.
Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Wings Ingredients
As awesome as this recipe is, it only needs a few ingredients, most of which you probably already have in the pantry!
- Chicken wings
- Breadcrumbs (preferably panko)
- Dried thyme
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
For a fun little cheesy twist, add a little grated pecorino or parmesan cheese to the breadcrumb mixture….YUM.
If you’re not a fan of strong herb flavors, you can skip the thyme in the breading mixture.
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Breaded Chicken Wings
Don’t have time to read? We made this short video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
Update: The ideal cooking temperature for breaded chicken wings is between 360°F to 380°F for 20-25 minutes. A lower temperature prevents the breading from getting charred.
How to Cook Breaded Wings in the Air Fryer?
This recipe requires a little prep upfront, making the breadcrumb mixture and breading the chicken, but the results are entirely worth the time and effort. Start-to-finish this recipe will probably take you around 40 minutes!
Usually, we air fry chicken wings at 400°F (204°C). That’s the quickest way to make them crispy. However, for breaded or seasoned wings, we recommend cooking them at 380°F (193°C). Air frying at a lower temperature will prevent the breading or seasoning from getting charred.
1. Get your chicken wings ready.
💡Pro Tip: Fresh or properly thawed wings will yield the best results.
If starting with frozen wings, thaw them before continuing with the rest of the recipe. The best way to thaw wings is in the refrigerator overnight. To thaw them faster, put them in a sealed container or bag into a bowl of cold water and change the water every 30 minutes until they are fully defrosted.
Once the wings are thawed (or if you’re using fresh), add the wings to a large bowl and pat dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the wings with a little salt and toss to coat them evenly.
2. Prepare the breading mix.
In a shallow baking dish, combine the panko breadcrumbs, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Whisk to evenly combine.
3. In a medium bowl, crack an egg and beat it.
Crack an egg into a medium bowl and beat until the white and yolk are combined.
4. Preheat the air fryer at 380°F (177°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it run without food for 5 minutes.
5. Bread the chicken wings.
One at a time, bread the chicken wings: first, dip the wing into the beaten egg, flipping to evenly coat the whole wing in the egg. Then, allowing any excess egg to drip off, transfer the wing to the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat.
Press the wing gently into the crumb mixture to ensure the crumbs are adhered. Place the breaded wing on a clean plate and repeat with the remaining wings until all wings are breaded.
6. Air fry chicken wings for 20-25 minutes.
When the air fryer is fully preheated, add the wings in a single layer and air fry, flipping once halfway through, until the wings are golden brown and fully cooked, about 20 to 25 minutes.
To check if your wings are cooked, insert a meat thermometer into the largest chicken wing. The temperature should be at least 165°F or 74°C in the thickest part of the wing.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
7. Serve and enjoy your air-fried breaded chicken wings.
When the breaded air fryer chicken wings are fully cooked and golden brown, transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
Like normal fried chicken, these wings would go really well with some southern-inspired side dishes!
Try a fresh, crunchy coleslaw with a light mayo dressing, creamy mac and cheese or some air fried garlicky green beans (link) to perfectly accompany your golden chicken pieces!
If you’re craving a dipping sauce (though these wings are insanely juicy all on their own), try a buttermilk-based ranch! The tang of the buttermilk really nicely complements the rich breadcrumb coating of the wings.
Be careful, before you know it, you’ll have eaten ALL the wings!! 😛
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Once the air fryer breaded wings have cooled completely, add to a freezer-style zip-top bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then follow the instructions below.
Fridge: Once the wings have cooled completely, add to a zip-top bag or airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating: To reheat wings, add to an air fryer preheated to 350°F (177°C) and air fry for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Do not overcook to avoid drying out the wings.
Breaded Air Fryer Chicken Wings FAQs
How to air fry breaded chicken wings?
To air fry breaded chicken wings, first prepare the breading mix and coat your chicken wings with it. Then, preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C). Carefully place your breaded wings inside and cook them for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
Crunchy & Juicy Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Wings
- 1 pound chicken wings 10-12 pieces
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons thyme dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Get your chicken wings ready. If you don’t have fresh ones, thaw them overnight. Then, pat the wings dry with paper towels. If you want, you can season them lightly with salt.
- Next, prepare the breading mix. In a container with a flat base, mix together breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, salt, and black pepper.
- Take a medium-sized bowl, crack open an egg into it, and whisk it thoroughly.
- At this point, you need to preheat the air fryer at 380°F (193°C).
- Now, let's bread the chicken wings. To start, dip a chicken wing into the beaten eggs, then transfer it into the breading mix. Cover the chicken wing with the breading and apply gentle pressure to help it stick to the surface of the wing. Set it aside and repeat the process until all the drumettes and wingettes have been breaded.
- Air fry the breaded chicken wings for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook until golden brown. Make sure the internal temperature of the thickest chicken wing reaches 165°F (74°C) or higher.
- Serve and enjoy your crispylicious air-fried breaded chicken wings.
- Use fresh or properly thawed chicken wings.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4- 5 minutes.
- It’s not ideal to wash your chicken wings as it may contaminate your kitchen.
- Chicken wings are considered as white meat and should be cooked to a temperature of 165°F or 74°C or higher.
- A flat container, such as a baking dish or tray, will work best for breading chicken.
- Skip the thyme if you don’t want a strong herb flavor.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer breaded chicken wings recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings being prepared. For best results, start with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making the breaded chicken wings air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!