This Cheesy Air Fryer Egg Toast Recipe is the perfect breakfast on-the-go! It’s a protein-packed meal oozing with gooey goodness! 😋 Fry it, to believe it!
It took us a few tries to get this cheesy air fryer egg toast right.
Normally, it would only take 4-5 minutes to toast bread slices in the air fryer. However, at that duration the egg whites remained raw. We ended up doubling the cooking time to allow the eggs to fully cook.
The end result wasn’t the best but if you’re the type of person who likes their toast extra crunchy and extra toasted, you now have a new quick and easy air fryer breakfast recipe to add to your list.
🤩 Fun Fact: Egg toast has many names, including “eggs in a hole,” “eggs in a nest,” “eggs in a frame,” “eggs in a pocket,” “egg in a hat,” “bullseye eggs,” “hole in one,” “baby in the hole,” “one-eyed Pete,” “pirate’s eye,” “one-eyed Jack,” “gashouse eggs,” and “popeye.”
Now, that’s a great definition of an eggs-haustive list!
Oh, by the way, this is also the quickest possible option to make air fryer egg on toast or air fryer eggs and toast. Otherwise, you might need to cook the eggs separately in a small round baking tray.
Here are two common pitfalls to avoid when making egg toast in the air fryer based on our tests.
Don’t use parchment paper or an air fryer liner as it affects the air flow and you’ll end up with raw egg whites. Liners are helpful with a few air fryer recipes, but not this one.
Don’t cut a hole in your bread slice as the eggs will get stuck to whatever surface it has come in contact with. Instead, create a well by pressing your bread slice gently with a spoon or a small bowl. Avoid breaking the bread slice though.
Lastly, don’t make too many egg toasts in your air fryer. Avoid overlapping your egg toasts. For best results, if you have a 6 quart air fryer, only make 2 egg toasts. If you have a smaller one, only make 1 egg toast.
Cheesy Air Fryer Egg On Toast Ingredients
Here’s all you need to make this cheesy air fryer egg toast.
- Bread, any type
- Shredded cheese
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
We recommend using large eggs in this recipe, rather than extra large or jumbo eggs that might run off the sides of the slices of bread.
You can use any type of bread you’d like! If you’re trying to keep your egg toast on the healthier side, you can use a whole wheat or sprouted grain bread for a nice dose of fiber. You could also omit the cheese if you’d prefer the toast without, or use a small amount of low-fat shredded cheese to keep the toast healthier.
For a little extra deliciousness, use everything seasoning on the tops of the eggs instead of salt and pepper! The added onion and garlic flavors really complement the egg.
Recipe Video: Air Fried Egg Toast
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Make Egg Toast in the Air Fryer?
Egg toast takes about 15 minutes to make, and most of that time is spent letting it cook in the air fryer, making this the perfect breakfast to start while you’re finishing getting ready in the morning.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may be able to make up to 2 pieces of egg toast at a time.
1. Preheat Air fryer to 360°F (182°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 360°F (182°C) and then let it cook for 3-4 minutes without food.
2. Create a well in the middle of the bread slices.
Using a small bowl, press into the center of the slice of bread to create a well for the egg to sit in. Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
Here’s why making a hole is not a feasible option:
3. Put together the egg toast in the air fryer basket.
Put the slices of bread into the air fryer. Crack an egg into the center of each slice of bread and carefully close the air fryer basket.
💡Pro Tip: Make sure the air fryer basket remains level to prevent the egg yolk from slipping through the bread slice.
4. Air fry egg on toast for 5-6 minutes.
Air fry the toasts until the eggs are mostly cooked and the toast is starting to get golden, about 5-6 minutes.
5. Add shredded cheese on top and air fry for another 2-3 minutes at 380°F (193°C).
After 5-6 minutes of cooking, add the shredded cheese to the top of your egg toasts, increase the temperature to 380°F and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese and finish cooking the eggs.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
6. Serve and enjoy your cheesy air fryer egg toasts!
If you have to take your egg toasts on the go, they’re perfect on their own or even with a little drizzle of sriracha.
If you can sit and enjoy your egg toasts on a plate, we recommend sprinkling some fresh herbs over the top, like chives, basil, or scallions. Also, this egg toast would be perfect with a side salad for a nice lunch or light dinner.
Here’s a fun breakfast sandwich idea: you could use two egg toasts as the “bread”, then add a few slices of bacon and some greens for a delicious breakfast sandwich!!
Enjoy your new favorite and most convenient breakfast!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: We do not recommend freezing the egg toast.
Fridge: When the toasts are completely cool, add them to an airtight container or zip top bag and store for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Reheating: To reheat, add the egg toasts, cheese-side-up, to an air fryer preheated to 350°F and air fry for 2-3 minutes or until the toasts are heated-through and crispy again.
The Best Air Fryer
If you’ve ever questioned the reliability of your current air fryer, it’s time to meet the Instant Vortex Air Fryer – your new kitchen sidekick! Picture effortless cooking, thanks to its 6 automatic functions. PLUS, it’s dishwasher safe, making cleaning a snap. 🤩 Don’t wait, upgrade your air fryer today!
Egg Toasts in Air Fryer FAQs
How to cook an egg on toast in an air fryer?
To cook egg on toast in an air fryer, first preheat your air fryer to 360°F (182°C). Create a well in the middle of your bread slice. Take the air fryer basket out, ensuring that it is perfectly leveled to prevent the raw eggs from spilling. Then, add the welled bread slices and crack an egg into the hole of each bread. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Air fry for 6 minutes. Increase the heat to 380°F (193°C), then cook for another 2-3 minutes until the eggs are cooked.
How long does it take to cook an egg on toast in an air fryer?
It will take approximately 8-10 minutes to cook egg toast in the air fryer. However, based on our tests, the recommended method is to cook it at a low heat of 360°F (182°C) for 5-6 minutes first. Then, increase the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and air fry the egg toasts for another 2-3 minutes.
How many calories are there in an egg toast?
For every egg toast without cheese, there are approximately 140 calories. For cheesy egg toasts, there are 180 calories for each slice.
Easy Cheesy Air Fryer Egg Toast, The Perfect On-The-Go Breakfast!
- 2 eggs large
- 2 slices bread any type or kind will do
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- 1/16 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/16 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F (182°C).
- Create a well in the middle of your bread slices using the bottom of a small bowl, a spoon, or a glass.
- Put together the egg on toast. Once the air fryer is preheated, remove the basket completely making sure it’s flat on your countertop. Then, add the welled bread slices and crack the eggs directly into the holes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully place the air fryer basket back into the air fryer unit. Then air fry the egg toasts for 5-6 minutes. The eggs won’t be cooked at this point. We’ll continue cooking it after adding the shredded cheese.
- Add the shredded cheese on top of the egg, then increase the heat to 380°F (193°C). Air fry the egg toasts for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts and turns golden.
- Serve and enjoy your air fryer egg on toast! It's an amazing and easy-to-make breakfast. All that's left is for you to air fry bacon slices and make your cup of coffee.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 360°F (182°C) and then let it cook for 3-4 minutes without food.
- Preheating your air fryer is highly recommended for a more accurate cooking time.
- Make sure the air fryer basket is leveled so that the raw egg won’t spill.
- This recipe is tested for 2 egg toasts on a 6-quart air fryer. If you want to make more egg toasts in one go, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Pro Tip: Crack your egg into a small bowl, and then use it to transfer the raw egg into the well of your bread slice. Cracking an egg directly into your air fryer is a bit messy.
- If you don’t want to add shredded cheese, the same cooking time will apply. Cooking it at low heat first allows the bottom of the egg to be cooked.
- We experimented with creating a hole in the bread slice, but each time, the egg got separated from the bread. The most effective method for making egg toast in an air fryer is to create a well from the bread slice.
- While air fryers can be helpful with some recipes, we do not recommend using them for making egg toast. The liner will disrupt the air flow, and you may end up with raw egg whites. The only solution would be to cook your egg toasts for a longer period, which may result in overcooked or burnt toast.
- Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of egg toasts you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the [keyword] recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!