You know what’s better than french fries? Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries! The subtle sweetness from this starchy root vegetable adds a depth of flavor to your favorite side dish. 🤩 Fry it, to believe it!
Making air fryer sweet potato fries from scratch is super easy. However, if you want to save time and energy, the quickest way to enjoy this amazing alternative to traditional french fries is to use frozen ones.
See Also: Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer
However, if you don’t mind the extra effort, let me go ahead and teach you how to make them from scratch. It will take you less than 30 minutes from slicing the sweet potatoes into strips to transforming them into a crispy treat.
I’m sure you’re already aware that sweet potatoes contain slightly fewer calories than white-fleshed potatoes and are high in vitamin A. So, there’s that added benefit as well.
🍀 Bonus: I’ll also share with you the perfect dip that pairs well with roasted sweet potato fries.
Without any further delay, let’s get frying!
Ingredients for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Here are all the things you need to make this crispy air fried sweet potato fries.
- Sweet potato (any variety)
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Kewpie mayo or regular mayo
- Sriracha or any other spicy sauce
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
To be honest, sweet potatoes are delicious even without any added aromatics or oil. You can simply air fry them as is and they will still taste great.
For a crispier version of this delightful side dish, add a light breading instead of seasoning them.
Dip the sweet potato strips in an egg wash, followed by coating them with a thin layer of dry batter consisting of cornstarch and baking powder.
Sweet Potato Fries Air Fryer Recipe Video
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer?
Air frying sweet potato fries is incredibly easy, with just one caveat: make sure to limit the quantity of sweet potato strips you air fry to ensure they achieve the perfect tenderness.
To make this fantastic side dish from scratch, follow these six simple steps.
1. Slice the sweet potato into fry-sized strips.
After washing your sweet potatoes thoroughly, slice them into ¼-inch thick fry-sized strips. If desired, you can leave the skin on for added texture and flavor.
2. Preheat your air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
🚨 Important: Reduce the cooking temperature to 360°F (182°C) if you’re using a 4-quart air fryer or smaller. They are hotter due to the heating element being closer to the food.
3. Season the sweet potato strips.
In a large mixing bowl, coat the potato strips with olive oil. Once fully coated, season them with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
4. Air fry sweet potato fries for 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden.
Roast the seasoned sweet potato fries for 15-18 minutes, flipping them halfway through for even cooking. Cook until they are slightly golden and crispy.
💡Pro Tip: To achieve a tender texture, only cook a single layer of sweet potato strips or fill your air fryer basket up to ¼ of its capacity. Adding too many fries will increase the cooking time.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
5. Prepare your dipping sauce.
In a small bowl, prepare your spicy mayo dipping sauce by combining Kewpie and a few drops of sriracha. If you enjoy spicy food, feel free to add more sriracha. On the other hand, if you prefer milder flavors, you can replace the sriracha with ketchup.
6. Serve and enjoy your air fried sweet potato fries!
Once tender and crispy, all that’s left for you is to enjoy your air fryer sweet potato fries. Allow them to cool down for a few minutes before serving.
Roasted sweet potato fries pair well with a variety of dips and sauces, such as spicy mayo, garlic aioli, chipotle ketchup, or even a tangy yogurt-based dip.
They also go great with seasonings like Cajun spice, smoked paprika, or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Additionally, you can serve them alongside burgers, sandwiches, or as a tasty side dish for grilled chicken or fish. The options are endless, so feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavors to find your favorite pairing.
Freezing & Storage
You can extend the shelf life of your air fried sweet potato fries by following these storage instructions.
Freezing: After air frying your sweet potato fries, allow them to cool down. Then, place them on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours. Once they are frozen, transfer them to a zip-top bag and store them in the freezer. They will remain safe to eat and retain their delicious taste for up to 3 months.
Fridge: If you have any leftover sweet potato fries, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. For the best results, place them in an airtight container.
Reheating Sweet Potato Fries
To reheat sweet potato fries in the air fryer, first, preheat your air fryer to 360°F (182°C). Then, cook your leftover fries for 4-5 minutes until they are crispy. Remember to flip them halfway through for even heating.
If you’re reheating frozen sweet potato fries, follow these steps.
FAQs: Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer
Can you air fry sweet potato fries?
Yes, you can air fry sweet potato fries. Air frying is a great method to make this crispy and delicious french fries alternative.
What temperature should you air fry sweet potato fries?
The optimal temperature to cook sweet potato fries in the air fryer is 380°F (193°C). However, this may vary depending on your specific air fryer model. For smaller air fryers with a capacity of 4 quarts or below, the ideal cooking temperature is 360°F (182°C) due to the heating element being closer to the food.
How long does it take to cook sweet potato fries in an air fryer?
A pound of sweet potato fries will take approximately 15-18 minutes to cook in a 6-quart air fryer at a high temperature setting. Keep in mind that the cooking time may increase depending on the quantity of potato strips.
How to air fry sweet potato fries?
To air fry sweet potato fries, first, slice your sweet potato into fry-sized strips. Then, preheat your air fryer to 380°F (193°C). I prefer them plain and simple, but if desired, you can also season them with your favorite aromatics. Now, cook the potato strips for 15-20 minutes until they become tender and slightly browned. Serve with your dipping sauce of choice!
Are air fried sweet potatoes healthy?
Air-fried sweet potatoes offer a healthier alternative to traditional French fries. They are packed with more vitamin A and contain 10% fewer calories per serving. For an even healthier option, you can skip adding any oil during the cooking process. Prepare your potato strips this way if you want to enjoy a guilt-free and nutritious snack.
How to make crispy sweet potato fries in the air fryer?
To make crispy sweet potato fries in an air fryer, dip them in an egg wash and then coat them in a thin layer of a cornstarch and baking powder mixture before roasting. However, please note that this method will increase the calorie content of your side dish.
Homemade Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries +The Perfect Dip
- 1 pound sweet potato large size
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Spicy Mayo Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Kewpie mayo
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- Wash the sweet potato and peel it if desired. Then, cut your tubers it into fry-sized strips, approximately ¼-inch thick and 3 inches in length.
- Preheat your air fryer to 380°F (193°C). If your air fryer has a capacity of 4 quarts or smaller, please see the note for more info.
- Meanwhile, season the sweet potato strips. Start by transferring the fry-sized sweet potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle them with olive oil and toss until fully covered. Next, add the aromatics such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well until the sweet potato strips are evenly coated with the seasonings.
- Air fry sweet potato fries for 15-18 minutes. First, carefully add a single layer of the seasoned sweet potato strips to the air fryer basket. Flip or shake them halfway through the cooking process to ensure even browning. Continue cooking until they are golden and crispy.
- Prepare the spicy mayo dipping sauce by combining 2 tablespoons of Kewpie mayo and 2 teaspoons of sriracha sauce in a small bowl. If you prefer a spicier sauce, you can add more sriracha according to your taste. Alternatively, if you don't enjoy spicy flavors, you can substitute the sriracha with ketchup to create a more traditional fry sauce.
- Once cooked, remove the sweet potato fries from the air fryer and allow them to cool down for a few minutes. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
- For 4-quart air fryers and smaller, reduce the cooking temperature to 360°F (182°C). They generate more heat because of the heating element’s proximity to the food.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set it to your desired temperature and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer sweet potato fries recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
- Avoid overfilling your air fryer basket. For the best results, only cook fresh sweet potato fries up to ¼ of its capacity. The more you add, the longer the cooking time will be.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried air frying sweet potato fries?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!