Air Fryer Lemongrass Chicken Wings are not your typical wings. They are citrusy, slightly sweet, with a hint of earthiness. 🤩 Fry it, to believe it!
Get ready, because these Southeast Asian-inspired chicken wings are going to knock your socks off!
Leaning on traditional ingredients from Thai, Vietnamese and Cambodian cooking, these lemongrass chicken wings are very rich in flavor. Lemongrass has a unique, floral taste and is very common in Southeast Asian cuisines.
Using it on chicken wings brings out the complexity of the lemongrass, and the fish sauce and garlic work together with it to make a really unique and delicious wing.
Making the recipe is so easy that you’d never expect the amazing results.
This recipe is as simple as seasoning/air frying the wings and stirring together a simple dipping sauce… Boom! You’ve got an incredible plate of juicy, flavorful chicken wings that are sure to impress.
Thai-style Lemongrass Chicken Wings Ingredients
These lemongrass wings pack a lot of flavor from just a few, carefully-selected ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these lemongrass chicken wings!
- Chicken wings
- Lemongrass paste
- Fish sauce
- Black pepper
For the simply delicious dipping sauce, you’ll need:
- Fish sauce
- Bird’s eye chili
- Lime juice
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
We use lemongrass paste instead of whole lemongrass in this recipe because it is easily found in the grocery store and it coats the chicken wings well.
🤩 Pro Tip: Lemongrass paste is a refrigerated product; it can be found in the produce section of the grocery store in a squeeze tube, and is typically located near the packaged herbs.
Fish sauce is an awesomely flavorful ingredient that is one of the key ingredients in Southeast Asian cooking. Just a little bit goes a long way and packs a punch of umami!
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Lemongrass Chicken Wings
Don’t have time to read? Watch this short recipe video we made just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Lemongrass Chicken Wings in an Air Fryer?
These amazingly flavorful air fryer chicken wings are so easy to make. You’ll be shocked at the level of flavor that comes from just a few easy steps.
Plus, the sauce is just stirred together, so it really couldn’t be simpler to get these next-level wings on the table. They’ll be cooked and ready-to-eat in less than 30 minutes!
1. Thaw frozen chicken wings overnight or use fresh ones.
If using frozen wings, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using. If you need to thaw them more quickly, add the wings to a sealed bag and place the bag in a large bowl of cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes until the wings are fully defrosted.
💡Pro Tip: Do not cook wings from frozen, for a juicier result.
2. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
This step is also essential for achieving juicy and tender wings. We aim to cook the wings as quickly as possible to prevent them from drying out.
3. Season chicken wings.
While the air fryer is preheating, prepare the wings. Add the wings to a large bowl and thoroughly pat dry with a paper towel. To the bowl, add the lemongrass paste, crushed garlic, fish sauce and black pepper.
Toss well to ensure all the wingettes and drumettes are well-coated. The best tools to toss the wings are your own two (clean 😉) hands!
4. Air fry chicken wings for 20-25 minutes.
When the air fryer is fully preheated, add the chicken wings in a single layer. Air fry, flipping them halfway through, until golden and crisp, about 20-25 minutes.
You can always check if your wings are done by inserting a meat thermometer into the largest wing: the internal temperature should be 165°F (74°C) or higher.
📝 Note: I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
5. Prepare Thai spicy and savory dip.
While the wings are air frying, prepare the dipping sauce by combining the fish sauce, sugar, sliced bird’s eye chili, water and cilantro leaves in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and ensure the sugar is fully dissolved.
6. Serve and enjoy your air fryer lemongrass chicken wings!
When the wings are totally cooked and golden, remove them from the air fryer and transfer them to a plate alongside the dipping sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Top the finished dish of wings with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro for a beautified presentation and nice bite of herby cilantro flavor.
Now, that’s how you make flavorful Thai-style chicken wings with lemongrass!
For a fun drink to go with the wings, try Thai iced tea! 🍸
Thai iced tea is a combination of strong black tea, spices, and evaporated milk. Thai iced tea concentrate can be found at stores like Whole Foods, so all you have to do is add milk and you’ve got a perfect pairing for your Southeast Asian-inspired meal!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Once the wings have cooled completely, add to a freezer-style zip-top bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then follow the reheat instructions below.
Fridge: Once the wings have cooled completely, add to a zip-top bag or airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating: To reheat wings, add to an air fryer preheated to 350°F and air fry for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Do not overcook to avoid drying out the wings.
Air Fryer Lemongrass Chicken Wings FAQs
How to air fry lemongrass chicken wings?
To make air fryer lemongrass chicken wings, first, marinate your wings with lemongrass paste and other spices. Then, preheat your air fryer to 380°F or 193°C and cook your wings for 20-25 minutes until they are golden and crispy. Serve with a side of spicy and savory dip.
Easy Air Fryer Lemongrass Chicken Wings
- 1 pound chicken wings 10-12 pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1½ tablespoons fish sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
Thai Spicy Dip
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 bird's eye chili
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cilantro leaves
- Thaw frozen chicken wings overnight or use fresh ones.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
- While preheating, pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels. Then, season the wings with lemongrass paste, crushed garlic, fish sauce, and ground pepper. Toss the wingettes and drumettes until fully coated.
- Then, carefully put the chicken wings in the air fryer and cook them for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Space them out for even cooking. Air fry until the wings become crispy and golden. If air frying from frozen, add 3-5 more minutes.
- While the season chicken wings are cooking, prepare the Thai savory and spicy dip. In a small bowl, combine water, fish sauce, lime juice, chili, sugar, and roughly chopped cilantro leaves. Add more chili if desired.
- Transfer the fried lemongrass chicken wings onto a serving plate with the Thai savory and spicy sauce on the side. Enjoy!
- Fresh chicken wings will yield the best results.
- The best way to thaw your chicken wings is to leave them in the refrigerator overnight. Another effective method for thawing wings is to place them in cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes. It typically takes 2-4 hours for the wings to fully defrost.
- We do not recommend defrosting them in the microwave as it may dry out the meat and potentially make it unsafe to eat.
- Air frying from frozen will result in a dry texture and longer cooking time.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F or 193°C and then let it cook without food for 4-5 minutes.
- Preheating and thawing your chicken wings properly will yield juicier results. Based on our tests, the longer you cook your chicken wings, the drier they will become.
- It’s not ideal to wash your chicken wings as it may contaminate your kitchen.
- Chicken wings are classified as white meat and should be cooked to a temperature of 165°F or 74°C or higher.
- For those who prefer spicier flavors, feel free to add more chili flakes to the Thai savory and spicy dip.
- Avoid marinating the chicken wings with the lemongrass paste, as it will result in a strong flavor.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer lemongrass chicken wings. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings being prepared. For best results, start with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the lemongrass chicken wings air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!