Here’s an Air Fryer Chicken and Broccoli recipe that’s better than takeout. The tender, juicy chicken complements the crisp, earthy broccoli, while the rich sauce adds a savory depth that brings it all together. 🤯 Fry it, to believe it!
We’ve already tried air fryer roasted broccoli, which makes for a fantastic side dish that pairs well with any protein or can be enjoyed as a snack with a ranch dipping sauce.
Today, I’m excited to share with you the best air fryer chicken and broccoli recipe—the juicy and tender chicken breast cubes are perfectly complemented by the earthy and crunchy broccoli, all tied together with a rich umami sauce.
It’s a satisfying and complete meal on its own. However, if you’re looking to add some carbohydrates, you can opt for a bowl of rice or choose a healthier alternative such as cauliflower rice or quinoa.
Making chicken and broccoli in the air fryer is generally a healthier option, as it requires less oil compared to traditional cooking methods. Air frying is also incredibly easy and convenient, allowing you to prepare this dish in less than 15 minutes.
Without any further delay, let’s get frying!
Ingredients for Air Fryer Chicken and Broccoli
Here’s what you need to make this healthy Asian broccoli dish:
- Chicken breast
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Smoked paprika
- Sesame oil
- Black pepper
- Sesame seeds, for topping
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
You could also make this a spicy dish by adding pepper flakes when seasoning your broccoli floret and chicken breast chunks.
Chicken and Broccoli Air Fryer Recipe Video
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Chicken and Broccoli in the Air Fryer?
To make air fryer chicken and broccoli, follow these simple steps. It will take you less than 20 minutes, from prepping your ingredients to enjoying a perfectly air-fried chicken dinner.
1. Cut the broccoli head into florets.
Begin by washing the broccoli head and cutting it into florets. If desired, you can also peel and slice the broccoli stem. Just make sure you’re slicing them thin enough.
💡Pro Tip: If you want your broccoli to be soft and tender, soak them in warm water for 10 minutes before seasoning and air frying.
Otherwise, leave them as they are for an al dente finish.
2. Slice the chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks.
First, pat the chicken breast dry and remove any tendons and tough tissues. Then, slice them into bite-sized portions as shown in the picture.
3. Prepare the marinade.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, crushed garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, smoked paprika, ground black pepper, and rice vinegar. Mix until well combined.
4. Preheat the air fryer 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F or 193°C and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
🚨 Important: If you’re using a compact countertop convection oven such as our Ninja Foodi 4-Quart Basket Air Fryer, it is recommended to reduce the temperature to 360°F (182°C).
Smaller air fryers are hotter since the heating element is closer to the food.
5. Season the broccoli florets.
Add half of the marinade to the broccoli florets. Toss until they are evenly coated.
6. Season the diced chicken breasts.
Pour the remaining marinade over the diced chicken breast and toss until the chicken is thoroughly coated.
7. Air fry seasoned chicken breasts.
Since broccoli will cook faster than chicken breast, we need to air fry the chicken first for 6 minutes, flipping halfway through.
8. Air fry seasoned broccoli.
Now, add the broccoli florets and continue air frying for another 6 minutes.
Cook until the broccoli turns slightly golden and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C) or higher.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
9. Serve and enjoy your air fried chicken and broccoli!
That’s how you make chicken and broccoli in the air fryer. It’s quick and easy, isn’t it?
You can choose to serve it as is or pair it with your preferred side dish, such as rice, quinoa, or noodles.
For better presentation and enhanced flavor, garnish with sesame seeds, green onions, or cilantro.
Chicken and Broccoli in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you air fry chicken and broccoli?
Yes, you can air fry chicken and broccoli. It’s a super simple, healthy dish that will only take less than 15 minutes to make in the air fryer.
How to air fry frozen chicken and broccoli?
To air fry frozen broccoli and chicken, first preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C). Then place a single layer of frozen broccoli and chicken and cook them for 10-12 minutes. If you don’t want any browning, reduce the heat to 350°F (177°C).
Air Fryer Chicken and Broccoli Recipe +Video
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1/2 pound broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for topping
- Wash the broccoli head and cut it into florets. You can also peel and chop the broccoli stem if you prefer.
- Slice the chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks.
- Prepare the marinade. In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, crushed garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, smoked paprika, ground black pepper and rice vinegar.
- Preheat the air fryer 380°F (193°C).
- Season the broccoli florets using half of the marinade. Mix until evenly coated.
- Season the chicken breast chunks. Pour the remaining marinade over the diced chicken breast and toss until the chicken is well coated.
- Air fry the seasoned chicken breast first. Arrange in a single layer and cook for 4 minutes. Then flip it and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then, add the broccoli florets and continue air frying for another 6 minutes. Cook until the broccoli turns slightly golden and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C) or higher.
- Serve warm and top the air fryer chicken and broccoli with toasted sesame seeds. It is best enjoyed alongside a bowl of brown rice. Enjoy!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F or 193°C and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent overcooking your cruciferous vegetable.
- If you’re using a compact countertop convection oven like our Ninja Foodi 4-Quart Basket Air Fryer, it is recommended to reduce the cooking temperature by 20°F or decrease the cooking time by 1-2 minutes. Smaller air fryers tend to cook faster and hotter due to the heating element being closer to the food.
- Do not discard the stem, peel it, then once you get to the soft core, cut them into thin slices.
- Soft & Tender – If you want your broccoli to be soft and tender, soak them in warm water for 10 minutes before seasoning and air frying.
- The internal temperature of the thickest chicken meat should reach 165°F (74°C) or higher.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the Air Fryer Chicken and Broccoli recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the air fryer chicken broccoli?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!