Whip up a crispy, flaky and fragrant filled snack faster than you can even imagine with this Air Fryer Scallion Pancakes! Bonus: Upgraded dipping sauce. Fry it, to believe it!
Scallion pancakes are a true delight for the senses. Unlike American-style pancakes, scallion pancakes are made with a dough rather than a loose batter, and are pan-fried.
There are many variations of scallion pancakes from various Asian cultures and cuisines. The most popular version, also called cong you bing, is from China and can be purchased from street carts and restaurants alike.
In this air fryer scallion pancakes recipe, we took some shortcuts to bring you the fantastic flavors of green onion pancakes but in a fraction of the time!
We utilize wonton wrappers instead of a homemade dough, and layer them with chopped scallions.
We also tried to minimize the amount of oil used to reduce the calories as much as possible, letting the air fryer do the work of crisping!
So, is this a recipe for an ultra-traditional spring onion pancake? Not quite, but it is crispy, satisfying, easy and most importantly: delicious!
See what you think of our shorter, healthier version, and then you can decide if you want to go ahead and try making your own dough!
Scallion Pancakes Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make these crispy scallion pancakes:
- Wonton wrappers
- Scallions (green onions)
- Vegetable oil
Special Dipping Sauce
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Scallions (green onions)
- Toasted sesame seeds
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
Like we already mentioned, we really liked using the wonton wrappers because it made the whole recipe much simpler than making your own dough
Making your own dough would definitely be delicious, though, and we totally encourage you to try it if you want! You could even use thin pieces of already-baked bread, rolled thinly.
You don’t have to make the dipping sauce to enjoy these pancakes, but we highly encourage you to make it, because it is so delicious and really makes the whole experience of these scallion pancakes that much better (aka, make the sauce). 😀
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Spring Onion Pancake
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Scallion Pancakes in the Air Fryer?
These scallion pancakes are so quick to make that you’ll blink and they’ll be coming out of the air fryer! Seriously, they cook for less than 5 minutes!
1. Preheat the air fryer to 360°F (182°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 360°F (182°C) and then let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time until you achieve your desired finish.
2. Finely or thinly chop the green onions.
Wash and dry the scallions. Then, remove the root end and mince each scallion.
3. Put together the scallion pancakes.
Assemble the scallion pancakes: Starting with one wonton wrapper, sprinkle on ½ teaspoon of minced scallion and pinch of salt. Add another wonton wrapper on top and repeat with the scallion and the salt.
Finally, add a third wonton wrapper to the stack and gently press the 3 together. Roll with a rolling pin to ensure the 3 layers are stuck together and the stack is flat.
Repeat with remaining scallions and wonton wrappers.
4. Brush the green onions with neutral cooking oil.
Lightly brush the top of each pancake with neutral cooking oil, like vegetable or canola oil. No need to brush both sides now; you will brush the other side of the pancake when you flip them during cooking.
5. Air fry the spring onion pancakes for 2-4 minutes.
When the air fryer is preheated, add the pancakes in a single layer and air fry for about 2 minutes. At the two minute mark, flip them over, brush with a little bit of neutral oil, and continue to air fry until the edges are crisp and golden.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
6. Prepare tasty dipping sauce.
While the scallion pancakes are air frying, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, sugar, gochujang, garlic, scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Whisk to combine everything and to dissolve the sugar. Set aside until ready to serve.
7. Serve & enjoy your air fried scallion pancakes!
When the pancakes are crisp and golden, remove from the air fryer and serve immediately with the prepared dipping sauce!
Enjoy every delicious, crunchy, scallion-y bite!
In our experience, these are best served hot out of the air fryer, so serve them as soon as they’re ready!
For an extra rich and delicious way to serve the pancakes, brush each pancake with a little toasted sesame oil as they come out of the air fryer. The toasted sesame oil adds great flavor and richness to the pancakes.
To serve with style, sprinkle the whole plate of pancakes with sliced scallions before serving- pretty and tasty!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Once the pancakes are totally cooled, add them to an airtight container or freezer zip-top bag. They can be stored for 3 months in the freezer. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then follow the instructions below.
Fridge: Once the pancakes are totally cooled, add them to an airtight container or zip-top bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: To reheat, add to an air fryer preheated to 350°F and air fry until hot and re-crisped, about 2 minutes.
Air Fryer Scallion Pancakes FAQs
How to air fry scallion pancakes?
To air fry scallion pancakes, first prepare the green onion by slicing it finely. Then, put the pancake together by filling each layer of dough or wonton wrapper with the spring onion. Flatten it with a rolling pin and cook it for 2-4 minutes at 360°F (182°C) in a preheated air fryer. The thicker your pancake is, the longer it will take to cook.
The Easiest Air Fryer Scallion Pancakes +Amazing Dip
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 5 sprigs green onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Special Scallion Pancake Sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon gochujang
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon green onion
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F (182°C).
- Slice the green onions thinly or finely and set them aside.
- Assemble the scallion pancakes. Place a wonton wrapper on a flat surface and add ½ teaspoon of green onion and a pinch of salt on top. Stack another wonton wrapper and add the same amount of scallions and salt. Finally, add the last layer of wonton wrapper on top. Apply pressure to seal the stack of wonton wrappers with the palm of your hand, and then gently flatten it with a rolling pin. Repeat the process until all the ingredients have been used.
- After putting together the green onion pancakes, carefully place them in a single layer on the preheated air fryer basket, making sure to space them out evenly. Then, lightly brush each pancake with neutral cooking oil.
- Air fry the spring onion pancakes for 2-4 minutes, flipping halfway. Then, brush them again with oil. Cook until slightly golden.
- While the air fryer scallion pancakes are cooking, make the dipping sauce by combining soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, sugar, gochujang, crushed garlic, green onion, and toasted sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- Serve and enjoy your freshly air-fried green onion pancakes!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 360°F (182°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer scallion pancake recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
- To ensure that the wonton wrappers are fully cooked, it is essential to brush them with oil before air frying.
- Eat it while it’s still hot, the pancake will become chewy as it becomes cold.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the scallion pancakes air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!