Air Fryer Vegetable Egg Rolls paired with sweet chili sauce is a vegetarian treat that will delight your palate. Yummm!!! 😋 Fry it, to believe it!
While the Vegetable Egg Rolls is a vegetarian recipe, it’s not vegan.
To make a vegan version, use spring roll wrappers. Spring roll wrappers don’t contain eggs. It’s just a flour and water mixture.
Vegetable Egg Rolls Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
- Soy sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Egg Roll Wrappers*
- Sweet chili sauce*
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
Egg Roll Wrappers
Egg roll wrappers are completely different from spring roll wrappers. The former contains eggs and is dense, while the latter is wafer-thin and is purely made of flour.
Don’t worry, this recipe will work with whatever you have. You just need to decrease your cooking time when using spring roll wrappers.
Sweet chili sauce is usually the best partner for Air Fryer Vegetable Egg Rolls. However, don’t be afraid to experiment with other sauces you may have.
If you find something fantastic to partner with this recipe, please don’t hesitate to let me know in the comment section below.
🚨 Important: DO NOT skip the sauce. The Veggie Egg Rolls on its own aren’t that tasty.
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Vegetable Egg Rolls
Don’t want to read? Watch this step-by-step Air Fryer Vegetable Egg Rolls recipe video, ASMR style.
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Vegetable Egg Rolls in an Air Fryer?
The ultimate challenge of making air fryer vegetable egg rolls is wrapping them nice and tight.
Don’t worry, I didn’t get it right the first time either.
1. Prepare all the Ingredients.
After washing and peeling your produce, slice your carrots and cabbage into thin strips. Dice the onion, mince the garlic and grate the ginger. Lastly, remove any bad bean sprouts.
⏰ Time Saver: To cut your prep time by half, you can buy a pre-packaged coleslaw mix at your local grocery store. In addition, you can also use garlic powder instead of mincing garlic.
2. Make a soy sauce thickening slurry.
Mix the soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl until fully incorporated.
3. Sauté the vegetable filling.
First off, get a large pan to sauté your air fryer vegetable egg roll filling. Bring it to medium-high heat, caramelize your onion for 3-5 minutes, add your minced garlic, and add the ginger. Cook for another minute.
Next, add the carrots and sautè for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and bean sprouts, then sauté for another 3 – 5 minutes until fully cooked.
💡 Pro Tip: Cook the vegetable filling until wilted and soft. The only thing that should be crispy in an egg roll is the crust.
After that, add your soy sauce-cornstarch slurry, and mix for another minute. Turn the heat off, and add the sesame oil to enhance the flavor.
4. Wrap the vegetable egg rolls.
🚨 Important! Thaw egg roll wrappers in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for a few hours before using. This will make them easier to separate.
A video is worth a million words, so here’s how I wrapped the vegetable egg rolls.
You can do it too!
Or if you prefer image step-by-step, check out this gallery:
In a nutshell: a.) lay the egg roll wrapper diagonally, b.) add the filling on the center of the wrapper, c.) fold the bottom, left and right corner to the middle, d.) tuck it while rolling, e.) and lastly seal the remaining flap with water.
Now, repeat the process until you have turned all those vegetable fillings into proper egg rolls.
5. Air fry the vegetable egg rolls for 7 – 10 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC).
Cook the vegetable egg rolls in the air fryer for 7 – 10 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC) until golden brown. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you can cook up to 8 egg rolls in one batch.
Make sure there are no overlapping egg rolls for even cooking. Flipping is optional if your egg rolls are adequately spaced.
💡Pro Tip #1 Lightly brush the vegetable egg rolls with cooking oil or egg wash. It will aid in crisping up the crust and will give you a more appetizing finish.
💡Pro Tip #2 If you want the crust to be more crispy, you can add 2-4 more minutes to your overall cooking time.
📝 Note: I used a 6-quart air fryer to make this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on the type of your air fryer. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time, and add 1-2 more minutes until you’re satisfied with the finish.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Let it cool down for a few minutes, and don’t forget your dipping sauce 😋.
Now, that’s how you make an air fryer vegetable egg roll from scratch!
Here are other egg roll recipes worth trying out:
Air Fryer Vegetable Egg Rolls FAQs
How long does it take to cook vegetable egg rolls in an air fryer?
The average cooking time of vegetable egg rolls in an air fryer is 7-10 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC). It may vary depending on the size of your air fryer and the number of egg rolls you are cooking.
What temperature should I cook vegetable egg rolls in the air fryer?
Cook the vegetable egg rolls in the air fryer at 400ºF (204ºC) for 7-10 minutes. The maximum temperature is required to brown the egg roll wrapper.
Asian Style Air Fryer Vegetable Egg Rolls
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 8 oz beansprouts
- 2 carrots julienne
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 small head cabbage thinly sliced (or ½ of a large cabbage)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 18 egg roll wrappers thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweet chili sauce
- Wash and peel your veggies. Then, dice the onion, mince your garlic, grate the ginger, slice the carrots and cabbage into thin strips, and remove any bad bean sprouts.
- Make the slurry. In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce and cornstarch together.
- Sauté the vegetables. Bring a large pan to medium-high heat, then add your vegetable oil. Caramelize your onion for 3-5 minutes. Afterward, lower the heat, and add the minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook for another minute. Next, add the carrots and sautè for 2 minutes.Finally, add the cabbage and bean sprouts, then sauté for 3 – 5 minutes or until the cabbages are wilted and soft.Pour the soy sauce-cornstarch mixture into the pan, and sauté for a minute or until the soy sauce mixture thickened. Turn off the heat. Then, drizzle sesame oil and add freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste. Mix well, then set it aside for assembly.
- Wrap the vegetable egg rolls. First, place your egg roll wrapper diagonally on a flat surface. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the sautéed vegetables. Fold the bottom and the sides of the wrap. Tuck the sides while rolling it for a more tighter finish. Apply some water to the remaining side of the wrapper to seal it.
- Air fry vegetable egg rolls for 7 – 10 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC) until golden brown. Make sure they’re evenly spaced.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce on the side, and enjoy.
- Thaw egg roll wrappers in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for a few hours before using. Properly thawed wrappers are easier to separate.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat mode, you can simply set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
- You can skip preheating by adding 2-5 minutes to your overall cooking time. To prevent your dish from burning, check it every 1-2 minutes.
- To cut your prep time by half, you can buy a pre-packaged coleslaw mix at your local grocery store.
- Another time saver would be using ~¼ tsp garlic powder instead of mincing garlic manually. If you choose this option, add it to your vegetable mix before sautéing.
- You can use egg wash if the water technique doesn’t work and the egg rolls don’t seal. Beat one egg and use that as the glue on the top corner of the egg roll.
- Place the end flap of the egg roll wrapper under so it doesn’t open up while cooking.
- Optional: Brush the vegetable egg rolls with a small amount of cooking oil or egg wash to achieve a crispy crust and a golden brown finish.
- If you have lots of egg rolls, you can cook them by batch. This will save you time since the first batch of the egg rolls will start cooking while you assemble the next batch.
- It is essential to cook the vegetable filling thoroughly. The result should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, just like a regular egg roll.
- If you want the crust to be more crispy, you can add 2-4 more minutes to your overall cooking time.
- I used a 6-quart air fryer to make this Air Fryer vegetable egg roll recipe. Cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time, and add 1-2 more minutes until you achieve a golden brown finish.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making the Asian Style Air Fryer Vegetable Egg Roll recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!