These Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are cheesy, crunchy, and oh-so delicious! 😋 The recipe is incredibly simple, offering a healthier alternative to regular fries. Fry it, to believe it!
When we tried zucchini chips recipe, it was love at first bite.
This time, instead of slicing those moisture-packed vegetables into rounds, we cut them into fry-sized strips. With a crispy panko and Parmesan cheese coating, each bite offers a perfect balance of savory flavors and a satisfying crunch.
If you want to make a keto version of this tasty snack, you can substitute the Panko bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese. While it may not be as crunchy, it will still retain its delicious cheesy flavor. You won’t go wrong with Parmesan-crusted roasted veggies.
See also: Parmesan brussels sprouts recipe
Whether you’re looking for a tasty snack, a side dish for your summer barbecue, or a fun appetizer to impress your guests, these air fryer zucchini fries are an absolute winner.
So, grab that fresh zucchini, fire up your air fryer, and get ready to indulge in a guilt-free crispy treat that celebrates the flavors of summer!
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries Ingredients
You only need a few ingredients to make the best air fried zucchini fries!
- Garlic powder
- Salt, and pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Plus something delicious to dip them in! (We’ll talk more about that later.)
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
In case you’re looking for a low-carb version of these crunchy delights, simply substitute the breadcrumbs with more Parmesan cheese.
Recipe Video: Air Fried Zucchini fries
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How To Make Zucchini Fries In The Air Fryer?
Zucchini fries are incredibly easy to make in the air fryer and take no more than 15 minutes!
1. Slice the zucchini into fry-sized strips.
Carefully cut the zucchini in half across the middle, then take each half and cut it into planks. Cut the planks into strips and you’ve got your “fries”!
Add the sticks to a container with a lid.
2. Coat the zucchini strips with dry batter.
To the container, add the cornstarch, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Close the lid and shake well to coat all the zucchini strips in the cornstarch mixture.
3. Setup the breading station.
To a wide, shallow bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and stir to combine. To another wide shallow bowl, beat 1 egg with 1 tbsp water until smooth.
4. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time or until you achieve your desired finish.
5. Coat the dredged zucchini strips with Panko-Parmesan blend.
While the air fryer is preheating, finish breading the zucchini sticks. First, add each stick to the egg mixture and toss to coat.
Allow any excess egg to drip off before adding each egg-covered zucchini stick to the panko mixture. Toss to fully coat each stick in panko crumbs.
6. Air fry zucchini fries for 6-8 minutes until golden.
When the air fryer is preheated and all the zucchini sticks are breaded, add the sticks in a single layer to the air fryer and spray lightly with high-heat cooking oil spray. Air fry for 6-8 minutes or until the outer coating is browned and crisped.
Without coating the air fryer zucchini fries with oil, they may appear pale and undercooked.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
🚨 Important: Cooking sprays often contain propellants that can damage air fryer baskets and trays. Whenever possible, use a cooking spray that only contains cooking oil.
7. Serve & enjoy your air fried zucchini fries!
When the zucchini fries are done, carefully transfer them to a plate and serve immediately with the dip of your choice!
While we really enjoy these zucchini sticks with ranch, they’re also really good dipped in caesar dressing or warm marinara sauce!!
Add a little sprinkle of dried oregano to the panko mixture in step 3, and you’ll have some delicious, Italian-inspired zucchini fries ready to be enjoyed!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Allow the zucchini air fryer fries to cool completely before adding them to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 5 months. To reheat, air fry from frozen: preheat the air fryer to 360°F (182°C) and air fry for about 4 minutes or until hot and re-crisped!
Fridge: Allow the zucchini fries to cool completely before adding them to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating: Preheat the air fryer to 380°F or 193°C and add the zucchini sticks in a single layer. Air fry until hot and re-crisped, about 2-3 minutes.
Zucchini Fries in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you make zucchini fries in an air fryer?
You can make zucchini fries in the air fryer, as long as you’re not coating it with wet batter. The recommended method is to coat the zucchini with breading, which will prevent it from sticking to the air fryer basket.
How long does it take to cook zucchini fries in an air fryer?
A single layer of well spaced out zucchini fries will take around 6-8 minutes to cook in a preheated air fryer at 380°F (193°C).
How to cook zucchini fries in the air fryer?
To cook zucchini fries in an air fryer, start by slicing the zucchini into strips of fry size. Then, coat the zucchini strips with dry batter, egg wash, and breadcrumbs. Place the coated zucchini strips in the air fryer, and add oil spray. Cook them for 6-8 minutes until they turn golden brown and become crispy.
Can I make zucchini fries with no breading and no eggs?
Yes, it is possible to make zucchini fries with no breading and no eggs. Instead of using flour and Panko, you can increase the quantity of Parmesan cheese. To bind the zucchini strips with the seasonings, toss them in olive oil in lieu of egg wash. However, please note that this low carb/keto version may not achieve the same level of crispiness.
Effortless Air Fryer Zucchini Fries Recipe (+Video)
- 1 zucchini medium size
- 1 egg large
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Wash the zucchini and trim off the ends. Then slice it into fry-sized strips.
- Place the zucchini slices in a large container and coat them with the dry batter mixture: cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set them aside for a second round of coating.
- Set up a breading station by mixing Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish. Then in a separate bowl, whisk an egg until smooth and silky.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
- Next, bread the dredged zucchini strips. Dip them in the beaten eggs and coat in the Panko mixture, pressing gently to help the crumbs adhere.
- Air fry zucchini fries for 6-8 minutes. Carefully place the breaded zucchini strips in a single layer inside the preheated air fryer. Spray them with high-heat cooking oil, and bake them until they turn golden and crispy. No need to flip.
- Serve your crispy air fryer zucchini fries with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent burning the zucchini fries.
- Kitchen Hack: Dredge the zucchini strips with the dry batter in a covered container. Shake to coat evenly.
- For even cooking and to prevent the crust from falling off, avoid stacking the zucchini fries.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer zucchini fries recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making the zucchini fries air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!