Whether you enjoy classic Air Fryer SPAM slices or are looking for a unique way to satisfy your savory cravings, we have the perfect recipe for you. 😉 Fry it, to believe it!
SPAM is a beloved breakfast staple worldwide, particularly in developing countries, thanks to its affordability and remarkably long shelf life.
In this post, we’re going to recreate my favorite way to make Air Fryer SPAM—crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Or perhaps take things to the next level by making SPAM Chips.
If you want to learn more about the brief history of SPAM, you can find it in our Air Fryer SPAM Musubi recipe.
Another delightful way to savor this popular meatloaf is through Air Fryer Spam Fries. Simply add a thin layer of crust to achieve that extra crispy goodness.
SPAM has come a long way since its introduction in the late 1930s. Today, you’ll discover a variety of flavors inspired by different cultures.
Apart from the traditional SPAM, you can also explore options with lower sodium content or try one of these amazing flavors: SPAM Bacon, SPAM Tocino, Hickory Smoked Jalapeño, Hot & Spicy, Teriyaki, and Oven Roasted Turkey.
All that’s left is for you to choose your flavor, and let’s start frying!
All You Need Is SPAM!
A can of your favorite SPAM is all you need to create this crispy treat.
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
To bring some excitement to your spam slices, consider swapping the classic can of Spam meatloaf for a low-sodium alternative or one of the delicious flavors available, such as Spam Bacon, Spam Tocino, Hickory Smoked Jalapeño, Hot & Spicy, Teriyaki, or Oven Roasted Turkey.
While I personally savor the sweetness of Spam Tocino, you might find the savory delight of Spam Bacon more appealing to your taste buds.
Recipe Video: Air Fried Spam
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Spam in the Air Fryer?
To make crispy air fried SPAM, follow these four simple steps.
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-minute increments to your cooking time until you achieve your desired level of crispiness and browning.
2. Slice the SPAM into ¼-inch thick slices.
Slice the SPAM meatloaf into your desired thickness.
A ¼-inch thick slice will result in a crispy outer layer that is tender on the inside. If you prefer it to be crispy all the way through, you can make the slices thinner.
3. Air fry SPAM slices for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway.
Carefully add your SPAM slices into the air fryer basket with even spacing. Then cook each side for 4-5 minutes until they become slightly golden and crispy.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer, the thickness of your SPAM and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
🚨 Note: Cooking SPAM in the air fryer may generate some smoke due to its high oil content. It is highly recommended to cook them in a well-ventilated area.
4. Serve and enjoy your crispy air fried SPAM!
Once the SPAM slices are cooked to perfection, remove them from the air fryer and let them rest for a few minutes to cool down before serving.
The perfect side dish to accompany them is a bowl of rice, along with scrambled eggs or a sunny-side-up. You can also serve them with ketchup as a dipping sauce.
Or you could also make a SPAM sandwich with it. Layer slices of air fried SPAM with a fried egg and your favorite toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, and mayo, between two slices of bread for a tasty sandwich. Yum!!!!
More SPAM-tastic Recipes
While the classic slice of SPAM is already delicious on its own, there are even more ways to enjoy this humble piece of canned meatloaf.
Recommended Cooking Time and Temperature
For the best and most accurate results, it is highly recommended to preheat your air fryer.
|Classic||400°F (204°C)||8-10 minutes||Flip halfway; for extra crispy crust cook for 2-4 more minutes|
|Sweet Flavor||400°F (204°C)||6-8 minutes||Flip halfway|
|Extra Crispy||400°F (204°C)||6-8 minutes||Flip halfway, ⅛-inch slices|
Classic Flavor: For the classic flavor, the ideal cooking temperature is 400°F (204°C), which requires a cooking time of 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook them until they are slightly golden and crispy.
If you want the crust extra crispy, extend the cooking time by 2-4 minutes. Remember to check your SPAM slices frequently to prevent overcooking.
Any Sweet SPAM: For sweet SPAM flavors such as tocino and teriyaki, reduce the cooking time to 6-8 minutes to prevent the sugar from burning. The same cooking temperature will apply.
Extra Crispy: If you want your spam extra crispy, cut them into ⅛-inch thick slices or thinner. Then cook them for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
💡 Note: Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on several factors, such as the thickness of your SPAM, the number of servings you are cooking, and the specific type of air fryer you are using.
Cooking SPAM in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you cook SPAM in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook SPAM in an air fryer. In fact, it’s one of the quickest and most convenient methods of cooking this beloved canned meatloaf.
How long does it take to cook SPAM in the air fryer?
At the maximum temperature, SPAM will cook in the air fryer for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through. However, please note that cooking times and temperatures may vary depending on the thickness of your SPAM, its flavor, and the specific type of air fryer you are using. Smaller air fryers may have higher temperatures due to the heating element’s proximity to the food.
How to make SPAM in the air fryer?
To make crispy SPAM in the air fryer, first slice your SPAM into ¼-inch thick slabs. Then, preheat your air fryer to 400°F (204°C). Carefully add your SPAM slices and cook each side for 4-5 minutes or until they become slightly golden and crispy. You can also explore other delicious SPAM recipes like SPAM fries and SPAM Musubi.
Easy Air Fryer Spam (3 Ways)
- 1 can SPAM any flavor
- Cooking oil spray optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C).
- Slice the SPAM into ¼-inch thick slices. You can adjust the thickness to your preference.
- Air fry SPAM slices for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook until crispy and lightly browned. For a crispier texture, extend the cooking time by 2-4 more minutes. See notes for suggested cooking times.
- Serve and enjoy your air fryer SPAM! Once cooked, remove them from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400°F (204°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent burning the SPAM slices.
- Suggested Cooking Times for a ¼-inch thick SPAM slices : Classic SPAM: 8-10 minutes; Any Sweet Variety: 6-8 Minutes; Extra Crispy: 12-14 minutes.
- You can make your SPAM thinner or thicker, depending on how you like it. Slicing it thinner will make it ultra crispy (cooked for 6-8 minutes). A thicker version will give you a crunchy outer layer that is soft on the inside.
- Air frying any sugary food will require a shorter cooking time since the sugar will caramelize more quickly.
- Prepare for Some Smoke: Processed meat like SPAM and sausage tend to release oil, which can result in smoke. When cooking SPAM, ensure you are in a well-ventilated space.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the Air Fryer SPAM Recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer, the thickness of your spam slices and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the [keyword] recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!