Craving a savory, delicious, protein-packed snack? Look no further than this Roasted Air Fryer Chickpeas! It’s so crispy and flavorful! ✨ Fry it to believe it!
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are a wonderful and versatile ingredient: they can be simmered in a stew or soup, mashed into hummus, or crisped into a satisfying snack!
Today we have a new way to enjoy this protein-filled treat—Air Fryer Chickpeas!
🤔 Fun Fact: Garbanzo beans get their name ‘chickpea’ from the Latin word “cicer,” which represents the larger family of legume plants that chickpeas come from!
Chickpeas Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
To elevate the flavor of your crunchy air fryer roasted garbanzo beans, you’ll require the following.
- Canned chickpeas
- Olive oil
Sour Cream & Onion Seasoning
- Dried dill
- Powdered buttermilk
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Grated parmesan cheese
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
There are numerous flavor options available for air fried garbanzo beans.
🍀 Bonus: You can use any popcorn flavorings!
We tried a few different flavors, like Cajun seasoning, cinnamon sugar, and cheddar cheese, but ultimately landed on sour cream and onion as our favorite.
This classic flavor combination pairs really well with the chickpeas, especially in their crunchy form!
At the bottom of this recipe, we’ve listed more tasty ideas for inspiration.
You can buy chickpeas dried or canned. For simplicity and convenience we’re using the latter.
🚨 If you’re using dried garbanzo beans, please check our guide after the recipe video.
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Garbanzo Beans
Don’t have time to read? Watch this quick crispy chickpea recipe video, ASMR style.
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Dried Chickpea Beans?
In order to cook dried chickpeas, begin by soaking them for a minimum of 12 hours or overnight. Following this, add the soaked beans to a pot containing clean water and heat until a low simmer is reached. Leave the dried garbanzo beans to cook for anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours, until they have become fully cooked and soft.
I know, that’s a lot of effort, that’s why we chose the simpler option. Nonetheless, I believe making air fryer chickpeas from scratch would be much tastier, as canned foods often have a residual metallic taste.
Now, let’s make those soft garbanzo beans into a crunchy and well-deserved snack.
How to Cook Chickpeas in an Air Fryer?
Preparing air fried chickpeas is simple; the amount of work it requires is really dependent on the way you want to season them, and even that part is easy!
1. Preheat the airfryer to 390ºF (200ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat button, you can set the temperature to 390ºF (200ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time.
2. Wash and rinse garbanzo beans.
While the air fryer is preheating, drain and rinse your canned chickpeas. Dry well in a clean kitchen towel and add to a small bowl.
🤔 Fun Fact: the liquid from a can of chickpeas, known as aquafaba, can be used as a vegan replacement for egg whites!
3. Coat garbanzo beans with olive oil.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the garbanzo beans and toss to evenly coat all the chickpeas.
You can definitely air fry those chickpea beans with no oil added. However, it won’t be as crispy.
4. Air fry chickpeas for 12-15 minutes.
When the air fryer is fully preheated, add the chickpeas and air fry until crisp and slightly golden, about 12-15 minutes, shaking halfway through.
📝 Note: I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
5. Prepare sour cream and onion seasoning.
While the chickpea beans are air frying, prepare the seasoning mix by adding all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisking to combine.
Mix dried dill, powdered skim milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, ground pepper, and grated parmesan cheese.
6. Season roasted chickpeas.
Place the roasted chickpeas into a bowl and add a seasoning of your choice, such as sour cream and onion seasoning, or any other flavorings that you prefer.
7. Serve & enjoy!
That’s how you make air fryer chickpeas crunchy and flavorful!
Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, as the air fried garbanzo beans will continue to get crisp as they cool.
Enjoy as a snack or as a topping on soup! These would also make an excellent topping to just about any salad!
Other Flavorful Options
Besides the sour cream and onion seasoning, there are other flavors that complement roasted chickpeas really well.
- Cajun seasoning – I always keep my jar of cajun seasoning full. It’s my go to flavoring for a copycat Five Guys fries. It’s super easy to make, just blend together: 1 tsp paprika, tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp dried thyme, ½ tsp dried oregano, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp salt.
- Cinnamon Sugar – A quick fix for your sweet tooth, just combine 2:1 mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Cheddar Cheese – If you don’t mind sticky fingers, add two tablespoons of this all-time-favorite seasoning powder.
- Salt and vinegar seasoning – This is a common popcorn seasoning, which you may already have. Go ahead and check your pantry!
- Fajita or taco seasoning blend – Another spicy seasoning with a strong aroma.
- Maple sugar and dry harissa seasoning – A sweet, tangy and smoky seasoning with a hint of spiciness.
- Ranch seasoning mix – If you’re a fan of ranch dipping sauce and enjoy dipping anything in it, you should give this flavoring mix a try.
- Buffalo Seasoning – To achieve an even spicier flavor, you can opt for this fiery blend of spices.
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: These can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months in the freezer. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then follow reheat instructions below.
Fridge: Once completely cool, store in an airtight container; the chickpeas should last 10 days in the refrigerator.
Reheating: Add chickpeas back to 390ºF (199ºC) air fryer for 3-5 minutes or until re-crisped. Watch them carefully to prevent them from overcooking and getting dry.
Health Benefits of Garbanzo Beans
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are an excellent source of dietary fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals such as Manganese and Folate (Vitamin B9).
Dietary fibers, both soluble and insoluble, play a crucial role in maintaining optimal digestive health and preventing constipation.
Garbanzos are also a good source of plant-based protein, essential for building and repairing tissues and promoting muscle growth.
Chickpeas, being on the list of low glycemic index foods, are a great snack option for people with diabetes or those aiming to lose weight.
Incorporating chickpeas or garbanzos into your diet has numerous benefits; the reasons mentioned above are just a few examples.
Air Fried Chickpeas FAQs
How to air fry chickpeas?
To air fry chickpeas, first you need canned or boiled chickpeas. Then, preheat your air fryer to 390ºF (199ºC), and cook your chickpea beans for 12-15 minutes until crispy and golden.
How long does it take to air fry chickpeas?
It will take 12-15 minutes to air fry chickpeas if you want to make them crispy at 390ºF (199ºC).
Can you air fry garbanzo beans?
Yes, you can air fry boiled or canned garbanzo beans. You can turn them into a crispy snack by preheating your air fryer to 390ºF (199ºC) and cooking your chickpeas for 12-15 minutes.
How to make crispy chickpeas in an air fryer?
To make your air fryer chickpeas crispy, cook it up to 14-16 minutes at 390ºF (199ºC). Allow it to cool down for 5 minutes for a more crunchy texture.
Can you roast chickpeas in an air fryer?
Yes, you can roast chickpeas in the air fryer. Start by preheating your air fryer to 390ºF (199ºC), then cook your chickpeas for 12-15 minutes.
Is Garbanzos the same with chickpeas?
Yes, garbanzo beans is another name for chickpeas.
Oh So Crispy! Roasted Air Fryer Chickpeas!
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Sourcream & Onion Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon dill dried
- 1 tablespoon powdered buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese grated
Other Seasoning Options
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt and vinegar seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Maple sugar and dry harissa seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Ranch seasoning mix
- Preheat the airfryer to 390ºF (199ºC) for 5 minutes.
- Open the can of chickpeas. Then, drain and rinse with tap water to remove any impurities.
- Transfer the garbanzos beans into a bowl and coat them with olive oil.
- Air fry chickpeas at 390ºF (199ºC) for 12-15 minutes, shaking halfway. Arrange them in a single layer for even cooking. Cook until golden brown and crispy. If you want your garbanzo beans to be extra crispy, air fry for 2-4 more minutes.
- While air frying, prepare sour cream and onion seasoning. Mix dried dill, powdered skim milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, ground pepper, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Place the airfryer-roasted chickpeas into a bowl and add a seasoning of your choice, such as sour cream and onion seasoning, or any other flavorings that you prefer.
- Serve and enjoy your crispy air fryer chickpeas!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 390ºF (135ºC) and then let it cook for 3 minutes.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent burning the garbanzos.
- If you’re using dried chickpeas, first soak them overnight. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes to 2 hours until soft.
- Using an air fryer liner is highly recommended. The chickpeas slipped into the holes of the air fryer basket when we tested this recipe.
- For a crispier result, air fry for an additional 2-4 minutes.
- I used a 6-quart model to make this air fryer chickpea recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making the roasted crispy chickpea air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!