Prepare to savor the crisp and juicy goodness of Air Fryer Chicken Schnitzel! Following our easy-to-follow recipe, you can enjoy this classic dish without the hassle of traditional frying. Tender chicken breasts coated in golden breadcrumbs, air-fried to perfection and served with a refreshing squeeze of lemon juice. Fry it to believe it!
Notes: We are currently in the development and testing stage for this air fryer chicken schnitzel recipe. Stay tuned for more updates. If you have any tips on making this dish even better, please leave us a comment below. We appreciate your input!
Here’s a video of a similar recipe that we’re going for.
Ingredients for air fryer chicken schnitzel
Here are all you need to make crispy air fried chicken schnitzel.
- Chicken breasts
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Regular breadcrumbs
- Avocado oil
- Lemon wedges
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
If you’re out of eggs, try using buttermilk as a substitute to add moisture and tanginess to the chicken coating. In fact, you can marinate the chicken in buttermilk for 30 minutes for a more depth of flavor. But that’s optional.
More importantly, you can substitute chicken breasts with boneless chicken thighs. Luckily, the recipe (ingredients and instructions) for chicken thigh schnitzel air fryer is pretty much the same as this one.
How to Cook Chicken Schnitzel in an Air Fryer?
Don’t worry; you won’t need any fancy culinary skills for this one. Our Air Fryer Schnitzel Chicken recipe is perfect for any skill level and a breeze to prepare!
1. Prepare the ingredients.
Start by arranging your breading station. Doing so helps keep things organized and makes the coating process a breeze.
Combine flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper in one shallow dish. Mix until uniform. With the second container, whisk together eggs and milk. Finally, just the breadcrumbs in the third dish.
Lay each chicken breast on a cutting board and hold it flat with one hand. On the other hand, use a sharp knife to slice the chicken breast horizontally almost in half. Open the chicken breast like a book, ensuring it remains attached on one side. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
This butterfly-cutting technique ensures faster cooking and even thickness.
2. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, set your desired temperature then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
🚨 Important: Reduce the cooking temperature to 380°F (193°C) if you’re using a 4-quart air fryer or smaller. They are hotter due to the heating element being closer to the food.
3. Bread the chicken
Dredge each butterflied chicken into the flour mixture, coating both sides evenly. Gently shake off any excess flour.
Next, dip the floured chicken breasts into the egg and milk mixture, ensuring they‘re fully coated. Allow any excess egg mixture to drip off.
Lastly, press the chicken breasts into the breadcrumbs, ensuring they’re well-coated on all sides. The breadcrumbs will give the schnitzel its signature crispy exterior.
This recipe is actually similar to Air Fryer Chicken Parm, and it tastes good. You should try it next.
4. Air Fry Chicken Schnitzel for 12 – 15 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC).
Arrange the chicken in your air fryer in a single layer, ensuring they don’t overlap.
Spray with avocado oil. This step enhances the golden color and adds a touch of healthy fats to the Schnitzel.
Air fry at 400ºF (204ºC) for 12 – 15 minutes, flipping the Schnitzels halfway through cooking for even crispiness on both sides. After flipping, make sure to spray the other side with avocado oil.
To ensure the chicken is fully cooked, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the Schnitzel. It should read 165ºF (74ºC).
5. Serve and enjoy!
Once the chicken is cooked through and delightfully crispy, remove it from the air fryer. Allow the Schnitzels to rest for a minute or two before serving. This step helps the juices redistribute, keeping the chicken tender and flavorful.
Before serving, give the Schnitzels a refreshing squeeze of lemon juice. The zesty citrus flavor perfectly complements the savory chicken.
Finally, serve & enjoy your air-fried chicken schnitzel.
Accompany your schnitzel with your favorite sides. Creamy mashed potatoes, a tangy coleslaw, or a fresh green salad are all excellent choices for the meal.
💡 Pro Tip: For a delicious dipping sauce, mix mayonnaise, minced garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. This garlic aioli adds an extra layer of flavor to the Schnitzel!
With our Air Fryer Chicken Schnitzel recipe, you’ll have a delightful dish that’s easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Fry it to believe it!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: To freeze, store the cooked chicken Schnitzel in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper. It will stay good for up to 2 months. However, let it cool to room temperature before storing it in the freezer.
When reheating from frozen, preheat your air fryer to 350ºF (177ºC) and cook the frozen Schnitzel for 15 – 18 minutes until heated through and crispy.
💡 Pro Tip: Create a big batch and freeze leftovers for quick, delicious meals on busy days!
Fridge: Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, pop them in the preheated air fryer, and cook for 5 – 7 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC) or until heated through and crispy.
How long to reheat chicken schnitzel in air fryer?
It takes 5 – 7 minutes to reheat chicken schnitzel in the air fryer at 350ºF (177ºC). Remember to check for doneness and adjust the time accordingly.
Can you air fry chicken schnitzel?
Yes, you can air fry chicken schnitzel, which can still produce a flavorful crispy dish without excessive oil. Simply follow the steps in our recipe.
How long to air fry chicken schnitzel?
Air frying chicken schnitzel takes 12 – 15 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC). Flip the schnitzel halfway through to ensure even cooking and achieve that crispy, golden finish. Be sure to use an instant-read thermometer to check the chicken’s internal temperature, which should reach 165ºF (74ºC) for safe consumption.
Quick and Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Schnitzel
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup regular breadcrumbs
- Avocado oil
- Lemon wedges
- Set up breading station. Mix the all-purpose flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, whisk the eggs and milk together. The third container should have the breadcrumbs.
- Prep the chicken. Lay one chicken breast on a cutting board. Hold it flat with one hand and use a sharp knife to slice it horizontally almost in half, keeping it attached on one side. Repeat with the other breast.
- Pound the chicken. Lay the butterfly-cut chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound them to an even thickness of about 1/4 inch.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 minutes.
- Bread the chicken. Dip each chicken breast into the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Next, dip them into the egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip off. Then, press the chicken into the breadcrumbs, ensuring it's evenly coated.
- Air fry the chicken schnitzel. Place the chicken in the air fryer basket, ensuring they don't overlap. Then, spray with avocado oil generously. Air fry at 400ºF (204ºC) for 12 – 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked and golden brown. Don’t forget to flip halfway and spray with more avocado oil.
- Once cooked, remove the Chicken Schnitzel from the air fryer and let them rest for a minute or two before serving.
- Serve and enjoy your air fried chicken schnitzel. For an extra pop of taste, drizzle some freshly squeezed lemon juice onto the chicken. Pair them with your favorite side dishes like mashed potatoes or a salad for a delightful meal!
- Remember that cooking durations may differ depending on the chicken’s thickness and your air fryer’s size and model. Before serving, ensure it has been cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually to prevent burning the chicken schnitzel.
- I used a 6-quart (air fryer) to test the chicken schnitzel. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the chicken schnitzel air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!