This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Air Fryer (Okonomiyaki) Recipe is like no other! It’s something that you’ll make over and over again. 🤤 Fry it, to believe it!
Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a Japanese dish that is sometimes referred to as a Japanese savory pancake. The word “okonomi” means to one’s liking, while “yaki” means grilled.
But, instead of grilling, we air-fried this famous Japanese dish. On top of that, we also used shaved Brussels sprouts.
IMHO, this is one of the tastiest Brussels sprouts recipes, just next to bacon-wrapped Brussels sprouts.
Did we do justice to this dish?
Let’s find out.
Air Fryer Shaved Brussels Sprouts Okonomiyaki Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make the Air Fryer Shaved Brussels Sprouts.
- Brussels sprouts
- Green onion
- All purpose flour
- Bonito Flakes
- Green onion
- Kewpie (Japanese mayo)
- Okonomiyaki sauce
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
Using Brussels sprouts is optional. If you want to stick to the traditional recipe, just double the amount of cabbage.
ASRM Recipe Video: Air Fryer Okonomiyaki
Don’t have time to read?
Here’s quick video on how you can make an Air Fryer Okonomiyaki, ASMR style.
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Shaved Brussels Sprouts in an Air Fryer?
Preparing this shaved Brussels sprouts recipe (Japanese Savory Pancake) requires 30-40 minutes. It’s not one of those easy air fryer recipes. But, in the end it’s all worth it. Your efforts will be duly compensated with a delicious and nutritious meal.
The only challenge to making Okonomiyaki in your air fryer is forming the patty and flipping it.
Don’t worry, I got your back. I’ll tell you the technique in the instructions.
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 minutes.
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
You may also skip this step by adding 1-minute increments to your cooking time until the bacon becomes tender and there’s browning on the edges.
2. Air fry the bacon at 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 minutes.
After slicing the bacon in half, air fry them for five minutes. We don’t need to crisp them up, we just need to cook them lightly.
💡 Pro Tip: Set the bacon oil, aside, we’re going to add it into the pancake batter for extra flavor.
3. Chop the bacon into small strips.
Now, slice those air-fried bacon into small strips. Doing this step will allow us to distribute the flavor evenly throughout the patty.
Or you can also add the bacon as is, then add it on top of the patty when you’re ready to cook it.
4. Prep the vegetables.
Rinse the Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and green onions, and discard any leaves with discoloration. Roughly cut the scallions and slice the cabbage and Brussels sprouts into small portions, small enough to fit your food processor.
5. Shave/shred the Brussels sprouts and cabbage.
You can shave your Brussels sprouts and cabbage any way you want it. If you’re comfortable slicing them manually, that’s completely fine. You could also use a mandolin. Or, to save time, you can use a food processor with a shaving accessory.
6. Prepare the pancake batter.
To make the Air Fryer Shave Brussels Sprouts pancake batter, first beat the eggs in a small bowl. Next, in a separate bowl mix the flour and water. Then combine both the wet ingredients to form a pancake batter.
7. Prepare the Okonomiyaki patty.
In a large bowl, add the sliced vegetables: cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and green onion. Drizzle the bacon oil, season with salt and pepper, then add the Japanese pancake batter you made in the previous step.
Continue tossing until all the vegetables have been fully covered with pancake mixture. Then, divide the patty into four equal portions.
8. Air fry the Okonomiyaki for 12-15 minutes at 380ºF (193ºC).
First, preheat your air fryer to 380ºF (193ºC). Then, line your air fryer basket with parchment paper, or better yet, use an air fryer liner (like in the picture above).
It will prevent the batter from seeping through the air fryer basket holes and make it easier for you to flip halfway through the cooking process.
Now, add the first portion of the savory Japanese pancake and shape it into a patty using a spatula. Cook it in the air fryer for 12-15 minutes, then flip it around 6-8 minute mark.
Make sure the patty has already taken shape before flipping it over.
💡 Pro Tip: To flip the okonomiyaki, take the air fryer liner along with the okonomiyaki patty. Place it on a chopping board, then use a rubber spatula. Work your way around the patty, until it detaches from the parchment paper before flipping.
📝 Note: I used a 4-quart air fryer to make this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
9. Serve & Enjoy!
That’s how you make an Air Fryer Okonomiyaki (Savory Japanese Pancake).
Now, let’s serve it like how they do it in Japan.
Drizzle it with okonomiyaki sauce and kewpie mayo in a zig zag form. Then use a toothpick to make a line against the sauces. See picture above.
Then, top it off with some green onions and bonito flakes.
Now, with put your hands together and say: Itadakimasu! (頂きます いただ)
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Air Fryer Recipe FAQs
How to shave Brussels sprouts?
There are many ways to shave Brussels sprouts. You can do it manually with a knife, use a mandolin, or use a food processor with a shaving attachment.
Savory Shaved Brussels Sprouts Air Fryer Recipe (Okonomiyaki)
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts trimmed and shredded
- ½ pound cabbage shredded
- ¼ cup green onions (scallions) thinly sliced
- 3 slices bacon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 2 eggs beaten
- Bonito flakes
- Green onions
- Okonomiyaki Sauce
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 minutes.
- Cut the bacon in half and air fry it at 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 minutes. Set the bacon aside and save bacon oil in a small bowl.
- After aif frying the bacon, chop them into smaller pieces.
- Prepare the vegetables. Start by washing the Brussels sprouts, cabbage and green onion. Remove any outer leaves with discoloration then chop the cruciferous vegetables into smaller portions that would fit your food processor. You also need to slice a quarter cup of green onions.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts and cabbage into thin slices. You can either do it with a knife, mandolin or a food processor. Then place the shaved vegetables in a large bowl.
- To prepare the Okonomiyaki batter you need eggs, flour and water. First, beat the eggs in a small bowl. Then, mix the flour and water in a medium bowl. Then combine them to make a pancake batter.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. First, add the green onion into the shredded Brussels sprouts and cabbage. Then add the bacon, drizzle the bacon oil (optional), season with salt and pepper. Lastly, add the prepared savory Japanese pancake batter. Mix until all the vegetables are evenly coated. Then divide it into 4 equal portions.
- Air fry the shaved Brussels sprouts pancake mixture at 380ºF (193ºC) for 12-15 minutes. First, preheat the air fryer, then line the air fryer basket with parchment paper. Add the portioned savory Japanese pancake batter then shape it into a patty by using a spatula. Flip the pancake half-way. Continue air frying until golden brown.
- Serve and Enjoy! Top it with okonomiyaki sauce, kewpie mayo, green onions, and bonito flakes if desired.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat mode, you can simply set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it air fry for 5 minutes.
- You may also skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. To prevent burning your dish, increment the cooking time gradually.
- If you don’t have Brussels sprouts, just double the amount of cabbage, or vise versa.
- Optionally, you can add the bacon oil into the vegetable patty for extra flavor.
- You can skip slicing the bacon into small strips. As an alternative you can place halved bacons on top of the patty. Secure it by push it down with a spatula.
- It’s impossible to flip the Japanese savory pancake inside the air fryer basket. Take it out, and flip it using a turning spatula.
- I used a 4-quart air fryer to make this Shaved Brussels Sprouts recipe. Cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making the Air Fryer Shaved Brussels Sprouts?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!