Golden, buttery, crispy and gooey, our Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a crowd-pleaser! So easy to make yet so delicious! 🤯 Fry it, to believe it!
Grilled cheese or toasted cheese sandwich is a classic comfort food that is universally loved.
There are different versions from around the world, made with various cheeses, fillings such as ham and on a variety of breads.
They all have to have one thing in common, though—cheesy, melty goodness!
We have taken some of the best tips, tricks, and ingredients from grilled cheese recipes and combined them to make a knock-out air fryer grilled cheese sandwich that’s extra crispy, melty and golden.
Serve the air fryer toasted cheese sandwich with soup, salad, or all on its own.
It’s so good, it doesn’t even need a side dish!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
The ingredients in this recipe are flexible! You can switch up your cheese and bread options to customize your grilled cheese to whatever you like the most!
- Bread slices
- Butter, softened
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cheddar cheese slices
- Swiss cheese slices
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
We really like the addition of ham or bacon in our grilled cheese.
Also, sometimes we will use a little bit of dijon mixed with the mayo for an extra tanginess, and then we swap in gruyere cheese for swiss and then you’ve really got something gourmet!
There’s always the option to use good ole’ American cheese, too! If using American cheese, we suggest getting it from the deli counter rather than in the pre-packaged slices for optimal freshness and flavor.
Feel free to use any sliced bread that you like! Know that artisanal breads may take slightly longer, depending on the thickness of the slices.
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Grilled Cheese
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Make Grilled Cheese in the Air Fryer?
Making grilled cheese in the air fryer is even easier than making it on the stove, and it’s hands-free. Add some foil to line your air fryer and then you don’t even have any clean-up! In 10 minutes or less, you’ll have a golden, crispy, gooey grilled cheese- so easy, the kids could do it!
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you can make 2-4 grilled cheese sandwiches at a time. If necessary, make the sandwiches in batches.
1. Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
You may also skip this step by 1-2 minutes to your overall cooking time.
2. Prepare butter-parmesan spread.
Mix the softened butter with the grated parmesan. It is best to use butter that has been out at room temperature for a few hours, so that it’s easier to mix. Once combined, set aside.
🤩 Foodie Hack: To quickly soften your butter, get a ramekin or mug and fill it with hot water. Then, immediately dump the water and add your butter and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap. The residual heat will soften the butter in a few minutes.
3. Assemble the grilled cheese sandwich.
Spread mayo on two slices of bread. Then, add one slice of each type of cheese and close the sandwich. Spread the parmesan butter on the outside of the sandwich (both sides). Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
4. Air fry the grilled cheese for 4-6 minutes.
Once the air fryer is preheated, add the grilled cheese sandwiches and air fry for about 2-3 minutes on the first side. Then, flip and continue to air fry, for 2-3 minutes or until the sandwiches are golden and crispy.
😋 Flavor Booster: If you want the maximum cheesy experience when making grilled cheese sandwiches, add shredded cheese on top of the sandwich after flipping them. Then, let the cheese melt for 30 seconds before continuing to cook.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
5. Serve and enjoy your air fried grilled cheese sandwich!
The obvious pairing for an air fryer grilled cheese sandwich is tomato soup, but we really love this grilled cheese all by itself! It would also pair really nicely with a lightly-dressed salad or even some fresh fruit.
There are so many options for fun additions to a grilled cheese sandwich. Here are some of our favorites for you to try!
- Jam or compote
- Balsamic glaze
- Roasted peppers
- Herbs!! Thyme, basil, oregano, chives, or all of the above!
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Olive tapenade
- Roasted vegetables
No matter what you add to your grilled cheese, it’s guaranteed to be delicious, especially in the air fryer!!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Allow the air fryer toasted cheese sandwiches to cool completely before wrapping tightly in plastic and adding to a freezer-safe zip top bag or airtight container. Freeze for up to 4 months.To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then follow the instructions below.
Fridge: Allow the sandwiches to cool completely before wrapping tightly in plastic and adding to a zip top bag or airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To reheat, add to an air fryer preheated to 375ºF and air fry for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway, or until they are golden and the cheese is melted.
Can you make a grilled cheese sandwich in an air fryer?
Yes, you can make a grilled cheese sandwich in an air fryer. First, preheat your air fryer to 400°F (204°C). Then, assemble your sandwich by spreading mayo on one side of each bread slice and adding your cheese slices in between. Stack the other bread slice on top, butter up both sides of the sandwich, and place it in the air fryer. Air fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden.
How long does it take to cook grilled cheese in the air fryer?
Cooking time for a grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer is typically around 4-6 minutes at 400°F (204°C). Be sure to flip your sandwich halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking and to prevent it from burning.
How to air fry grilled cheese?
To make grilled cheese in an air fryer, start by preheating it to 400°F (204°C). Then, prepare your sandwich by spreading mayo on one side of each bread slice and placing the cheese slices in between. Place the other bread slice on top, butter both sides of the sandwich, and put it in the air fryer. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
Quick & Easy Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese optional topping
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C).
- Prepare butter-parmesan spread. In a small bowl, mix softened butter with grated parmesan cheese. Set aside for later.
- Put together the toasted cheese sandwich. Take one bread slice and spread mayo on it. Add a slice of Swiss cheese and cheddar cheese on top. Place the second slice of bread on top of the cheese and spread both sides of the sandwich with the butter-parmesan mixture. Repeat the process with the remaining bread slices.
- Air fry the grilled cheese sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy your air fryer grilled cheese!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400°F (204°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- Should you choose not to preheat your air fryer, add 1-2 minutes to your cooking time. However make sure to check your grilled cheese every now and then to prevent it from burning.
- Flavor Booster: Add shredded cheese on top of the sandwich after flipping them. However, give the cheese at least 30 seconds to melt before continuing to cook.
- You can use any type of cheese for your grilled cheese sandwich, such as cheddar, Swiss, or even mozzarella cheese, depending on your preference.
- Don’t forget to flip your grilled cheese.
- To quickly soften your butter, get a ramekin or mug and fill it with hot water. Then, immediately dump the water and add your butter and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap. The residual heat will soften the butter in a few minutes.
- Another way to soften your butter is to microwave it at 30% power in 5-second increments. If you see the sides melting, mix the butter until it reaches the desired softness.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer grilled cheese sandwich recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making air fryer grilled cheese sandwich?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!