The combo of golden fish filets and crunchy fries is one for the ages. Easily make it at home with Air Fryer Frozen Fish and Chips! 🤩 Fry it, to believe it!
A classic dish from England—fish and chips—is crunchy, salty and oh-so-satisfying.
Traditionally, the fish is battered and deep fried, served alongside a plate of fries, also fresh out of the fryer. No trip to the UK would be complete without at least one plate of fish and chips.
Today, we’re going to air fry frozen fish and chips!
Because of all the deep frying that’s required, fish and chips is usually not a dish you can make at home. Between the messy frying oil and the calories from having to deep-fry, fish and chips is just not a super accessible weeknight meal.
Enter…the air fryer!
A bag of frozen fries and some frozen fish filets can turn into a steaming-hot plate of fish and chips in no time, and without the mess!
You can pick any fish you want. You can go for frozen cod, halibut, or even tilapia. Just make sure they are already battered.
If you have a dual basket air fryer, that’s going to be big plus. You can air fry the frozen fish filet on one side and frozen fries on the other.
Air Fryer Frozen Fish and Chips Ingredients
Here’s what you need to whip up quick and easy fish and chips using frozen and ready-made items.
- Frozen fries
- Frozen battered fish filets
- Tartar sauce
- Lemon (optional)
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
Obviously, the tartar sauce is just for serving, so feel free to serve with your favorite condiment!
Another great option is to serve fish and chips with lemon wedges- lemon and fish are a match made in heaven!
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Frozen Fish & Chips
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Air Fry Frozen Fish and Chips?
Air frying frozen fish and chips is super easy.
The only caveat to cooking battered fish filets, whether fresh or frozen, is that you have to wait for the batter or breading to set before flipping them. Flipping too early will ruin the crust of the fish filet.
So if it’s still too mushy, don’t flip them yet. Give it a few more minutes.
1. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat mode, simply set it to 380°F (193°C) and let it cook without food for 4-5 minutes.
For a more accurate cooking time, preheating is highly recommended.
2. Air fry the fries at 380°F (193°C) for 12-14 minutes.
Add the straight-cut frozen fries to the air fryer set to 380°F and air fry for 12-14 minutes, shaking them at least once halfway through cooking.
When the fries are done, add them to a bowl with a pinch of salt and toss to coat the hot fries in the salt.
If you have a dual-basket air fryer, you can cook both items simultaneously.
Note: We’re using straight-cut fries in this recipe. If you’re using a slimmer cut like shoestring fries, reduce the cooking time accordingly. For the best results, start with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
3. Air fry the frozen battered fish filets at 380°F (193°C) for 12-14 minutes.
Add the frozen fish filets to the air fryer and cook for 12-14 minutes, carefully flipping them one time halfway through cooking.
If you want to make sure your fish filets are done, their internal temperature should reach 145°F (62°C) or higher.
💡Pro Tip: Don’t flip the fish filets yet if the crust is still mushy. Give it a few more minutes to crisp up before flipping them over.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
4. Serve and enjoy your air-fried fish and chips with a side of your favorite dip!
When the frozen fish filets are golden and crisp, you know it’s time to carefully transfer them to a plate and serve with those delicious french fries!
That’s how to turn frozen fish and chips into crispylicious meal! Enjoy!
Other than tartar sauce and lemon wedges, a classic serving condiment for fish and chips is malt vinegar!
This slightly sweet vinegar pairs perfectly with the salty fish and chips, and the little kick of acid makes everything taste better and brighter! Sprinkle on some drops of malt vinegar just before serving for a truly authentic fish and chips experience!
One thing to watch out for is oil in the fish filets- sometimes, the frozen fish filets can be a bit greasy. We will work on a homemade fish filet recipe, so stay tuned!
Reheating Leftover Fish and Chips
If you have any leftover fish and chips, preheat your air fryer to 350°F (177°C). Put your fish and fries in a single layer with no overlapping, then cook them for 5-6 minutes.
The Best Frozen Fish & Chips Brands
|Young’s Chip Shop Frozen Cod Filets|
|Gorton’s Beer Battered Whole Fish Filets|
|Young’s Chip Shop Frozen Haddock Filets|
|Aqua Star Crispy Battered Atlantic Haddock|
|Young’s Traditional British Crispy Battered Cod Filet and Chips|
No matter what brand of frozen fish filets you are using, the cooking time is going to be almost the same: 380°F (193°C) for 12-14 minutes, flipping halfway. Add 2-4 minutes for thicker or larger filets.
To test for doneness, make sure the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145°F (62°C) and the batter has become crispy.
Frozen Fish And Chips In Air Fryer FAQs
How to air fry frozen fish and chips?
To air fry frozen fish and chips, first crisp up the fries at 380°F (193°C) for 12-14 minutes, shaking halfway through. Then, season them with salt. Next, cook the frozen beer-battered fish at the same temperature for 12-14 minutes, flipping halfway. Drain the excess oil on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with a side of tartar sauce and lemon.
How to Air Fry Frozen Fish and Chips, Young’s +Other Brands
- 1 pound fries straight-cut, or any other type of fries you like
- 4 fish filets
- 2 tablespoons tartar sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon salt or to taste
- lemon wedges optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C)
- Air fry the fries at 380°F (193°C) for 12-14 minutes, no need to preheat. Shake halfway through. Cook until slightly golden brown. Transfer them to a large bowl, then lightly season with salt.
- Air fry the frozen battered fish filets at 380°F (193°C) for 12-14 minutes, including preheating time. Flip halfway. Then place them on a plate with paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Serve your air fried frozen fish and chips with a slice of lemon or your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- For a more accurate cooking time, preheating your air fryer is highly recommended.
- If you’re air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, set your cooking temperature to 380°F (193°C) and let it run for 4-5 minutes without food.
- If you’re using a second layer rack when making your fish and chips, you may need more time to cook them. Additionally, you may need to remove the rack if you want to shake the fries. In short, it’s more of a hassle. This is where a two-basket air fryer comes in handy.
- Avoid overlapping battered fish filets as some parts may be undercooked.
- Fish should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C).
- If you are making more than a pound of fries, it is recommended to cook them for 14-16 minutes. Additionally, it is best to only fill one-third of the air fryer basket for optimal results. A half-full air fryer basket of fries may take more than 20 minutes to cook.
- Avoid shaking the fries while they are still soggy, as this may break them apart.
- Be careful when flipping the fish, as its meat is too delicate and the crust may fall off. Wait for the crust to set before turning the fish filets.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to air fry frozen fish and chips. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making air fryer frozen fish and chips?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!