Cooking frozen burger in the air fryer is super easy. Follow these 5 simple steps to turn your humble beef patty into a tender and juicy hamburger. 🤯 Fry it, to believe it!
Nothing says “summer” like that first bite into a hot cheeseburger.
Unfortunately, we tend to limit making burgers to the times of the year that provide good grilling weather, which, depending on where you live, can mean just 2 or 3 months a year.
We believe it’s way too easy to make burgers indoors to save them for just the summer with the advent of smart kitchen appliances like indoor grills and air fryers.
In this Air Fryer Frozen Burger recipe, we take the ultimate shortcut to make fresh burgers inside. We use frozen patties that are convenient to have in the freezer and cook them quickly in the popular smart cooker!
Gone is the need to preheat the grill, or worse, a grill pan with all the smoke and splatter that comes with cooking frozen beef patties!
Cheese Burger Ingredients
Burgers are pretty customizable, so other than the frozen ¾ inch patties, feel free to swap in whatever toppings you like!
- Frozen burger patties, ¾-inch thick
- Burger buns, any bread will do
- Butter (for buns!)
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
Really feeling creative? Serve the burger on the bread from our Cheese Toast recipe and you won’t be sorry!
Recipe Video: Air Fried Frozen Hamburger Patties
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Frozen Burger in the Air Fryer?
We’ve already talked about how easy frozen burgers are to make in the air fryer, but did we mention how fast making them is? Start to finish, this recipe will take less than 30 minutes, probably around 25 minutes—from air frying the frozen beef patties to stacking it into a proper cheese burger.
Most beef products are cooked at high heat on the grill or in a pan, so the best temperature for cooking frozen burgers in the air fryer is 400ºF or 204ºC.
Let’s get started!
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
To retain the juiciness and tender texture of the frozen hamburger patty, it’s important to cook it for the shortest amount of time possible. Therefore, preheating your air fryer is highly recommended.
2. Air fry frozen burger patties for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway.
When the air fryer is preheated, add the burger patties in a single layer and air fry for about 6 minutes before flipping. Flip and continue to air fry the patties until they reach an internal temperature of 155°F, about another 6-7 minutes.
Suggested Cooking Times:
3/4-inch frozen beef patties: 12-15 minutes
1/2-inch frozen beef patties and thinner: 8-12 minutes
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
3. Add cheese slices once the patties reach 155°F.
Once the patties reach an internal temperature of 155°F, add a slice of the cheese of your choosing to the top of each burger patty and air fry for an additional 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
💡Pro Tip: To retain the moisture in the burger patties, remove them from the air fryer once they reach an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C). Place them on a plate or cutting board and cover them with aluminum foil, giving them 4-5 minutes of resting time before serving to allow the juices to redistribute.
If you can, prepare an aluminum foil tent with a rack before air frying your beef patties. Elevating them will prevent the moisture from collecting underneath.
This is the best time to toast your burger buns and toppings.
4. Prepare your bun and toppings.
When the cheese is melted, transfer the burgers to a plate to rest while you toast the buns. Butter the cut side of each bun (could be just tops or tops and bottoms if you have room in the air fryer). Add the buttered bun halves to the air fryer and toast until golden, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Stack your burger and enjoy your air fried frozen burger patties!
When the buns are finished toasting, assemble your air fryer frozen burgers!
In this recipe, we kept it simple with just ketchup and mayo, but the possibilities are endless! Enjoy your freshly air-fried frozen burgers!
One of our favorite burgers is one with gruyere cheese, mayo, dijon mustard, bread and butter pickles and lettuce on a brioche bun!
This French-inspired burger is one that you simply have to try, especially if you like dijon mustard!
The flavor of the gruyere and dijon-topped burger on a buttery brioche bun will instantly become a favorite in your household.
The Best Frozen Hamburger Patties
Here are the best frozen beef patties that you can try the next time you’re hosting an indoor barbecue party.
|The Original Bubba Burger|
|Kirkland Signature Frozen Lean Ground Beef Burger Patties by Costco|
|Wahlburgers Gourmet Blend Angus Burgers|
|Sam’s Club Frozen Angus Burgers|
|Bradshaw Beef Patties|
|Ball Park Flame Grilled Beef Patty (Fully Cooked)|
|Aldi Frozen Beef Burgers|
Just remember that the best cooking time and temperature when air frying frozen patties will depend on their thickness. At 400°F (204°C), 3/4-inch frozen patties will take 12-15 minutes to cook, while 1/2 inch and thinner will take 8-12 minutes.
Freezing & Storage
If you’re not eating all the burgers immediately, it is best to leave the cooked patties plain (without cheese or bun) for storage.
Freezing: We do not recommend re-freezing previously-frozen burger patty.
Fridge: Allow the burger patties to cool completely before adding to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating: To reheat, add the patties to an air fryer preheated to 375°F and reheat until the burgers are hot (and the cheese is melted if they have cheese), about 4-5 minutes.
Frozen Burger in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you air fry a frozen burger?
Yes, you can air fry frozen burger patties. Depending on their thickness, it will take you about 8-15 minutes to cook them, flipping halfway through to ensure even cooking.
How long does it take to cook a frozen burger in an air fryer?
It will take 8-12 minutes to cook a ½-inch-thick frozen burger patty at 400°F (204°C) in the air fryer. For a ¾-inch-thick patty, that’s 12-15 minutes. However, please note that cooking time will vary depending on your air fryer, the thickness of your patty and the number of servings you are making.
Frozen Burger in the Air Fryer, Bubba +Other Brands
- 4 frozen burger patties ¾-inch thick or whatever is available
- 4 burger buns any bread will do
- 4 slices cheese any cheese will do
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C).
- Carefully place the frozen burger patties (¾-inch thick) in the air fryer. Cook each side for 6-7 minutes. For a ½-inch thick patty, the ideal cooking time is 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Once the hamburger patties reach 155°F, add a cheese slice and continue cooking for a minute until the cheese melts and the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C). Then, set them aside and prepare your buns.
- Spread butter on your burger bun and toast it in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes at 400°F. At the same time, you can also prepare the vegetable slices and other toppings you like
- Enjoy your air fryer frozen burger patties! Stack your sandwich the way you like it, adding mayo and ketchup to your bun, as well as lettuce, tomato, and other toppings.
- This recipe uses a ¾-inch-thick frozen burger patty that takes 12-15 minutes to cook in the air fryer, flipping halfway. If you have a half-inch patty, reduce the cooking time to 8-12 minutes, flipped halfway through.
- Using a meat thermometer is highly recommended for a more accurate cooking.
- The FDA suggests cooking ground beef to 160°F (71°C) or higher. Make sure to take out the frozen beef patty once it reaches that internal temperature. Cooking it for longer will dry out your burger.
- Give your air-fried frozen patties 4-5 minutes of resting time. This will help to retain most of the moisture content before serving. That’s why it’s best to toast your buns after you air-fry your frozen burger patties.
- To achieve the traditional golden brown crust, the ideal cooking temperature of burger patties is 400°F (204°C).
- It will only take 3-4 minutes to toast your bun in the air fryer without preheating. However, be careful not to leave them in the air fryer for too long, as they can burn quite quickly.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400°F and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex to test air fryer frozen burger patties. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer, the thickness of the burger and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried cooking frozen burger in the air fryer?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!