Your cheesy breakfast is just a few minutes with this bubbly and delicious homemade Air Fryer Cheese Toast recipe! 😋 Fry it, to believe it!
One thing that has prevented me from making cheese toast in the air fryer is the cheese flying off and sticking to the heating element, which creates smoke.
This is more likely to happen with smaller air fryers, like my 4-quart Ninja Foodi, where only one slice of bread can be toasted at a time. If the toasts overlap, the strong suction can pull the bread slice into the heating element.
To prevent this from happening, make sure that you don’t overlap your toasts.
Thankfully, none of these issues occurred with this air fryer cheese toast recipe.
Apart from using my 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus air fryer, which can handle four bread slices at a time. I also added mayo spread to help the cheese stick to the bread.
However, if you’re not a fan of mayo, you can also skip it. I’ll give you a tip on how to prevent your cheese from flying off at the end of this post.
Cheese Toast Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
Here are all the things you need to make air fried cheese toast.
Each component adds the perfect layer of flavor to make this breakfast treat as delicious as it is.
- Dijon mustard
- Cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parsley, minced
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
You can definitely customize the types of cheeses that you use, but we chose mozzarella and cheddar for the way they melt and for their flavors. You could use other cheeses like gruyere or swiss, but know that it’ll change the overall flavor profile of the toast!
In this recipe, we used a fresh loaf of bakery bread. The crust on the outside toasts up well in the air fryer and is a good complement to the softer, cheesy middle of each piece of toast.
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Cheese Toast
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Make Cheese Toast in an Air Fryer?
Cheese toast is the perfect appetizer because it requires very few ingredients and almost no time! This recipe will take less than 10 minutes, start to finish!
1. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook without food for 5 minutes.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time or until you achieve your desired finish.
2. Get your bread slices ready.
Slice your bread into ½ inch slices if it isn’t already sliced. Set aside.
3. Prepare the mayo spread, cheese blend and butter.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and dijon mustard (bonus points if you use a baby whisk).
In another small bowl, combine the two shredded cheeses and the parsley. Have the butter out and softened, ready to be spread.
4. Assemble the cheese toast.
Prepare each piece of toast by first buttering the bottom of each piece of bread. Then, spread the mayo mixture on the top of each bread slice. Finish preparing the toast by topping each piece with the cheese mixture. Press to adhere the cheese to the bread.
💡Pro Tip: If you don’t want to use mayo or you want to make sure that the shredded cheese won’t fly off, you can place the cheese toast in the preheated air fryer for 30-60 seconds to let the cheese melt before turning it on.
5. Air fry cheese toast for 4-6 minutes.
When the air fryer is preheated, add the toasts in a single layer and air fry until the cheese is bubbling and browned, about 4-6 minutes.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
6. Serve and enjoy your air fried cheese toast!
When the cheese toast is golden and the cheese is melted, transfer the toasts to a plate and serve immediately.
Bonus: Save a little chopped parsley to sprinkle over the top for a beautiful presentation that makes the toast seem even fancier!
There’s no reason why this toast couldn’t be for more than just an appetizer!
Add to a brunch spread to serve with soft-scrambled eggs- the combination of the mayo/dijon and cheeses will make it feel like the most elevated breakfast pairing, ever!
If you’re really enjoying your cheese toast, you could even use it as the bread for an egg sandwich, or even a chicken sandwich. Once you have this toast, you’ll want to eat it any way you can!
Freezing & Storage
We don’t recommend freezing your air fryer cheese toast, instead freeze the bread without the cheese.
Freezing: To freeze your bread, simply wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the bread to defrost in the fridge overnight before use.
Fridge: Allow the air fryer cheese toast to cool completely before storing it in an airtight container or zip-top bag. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: To reheat your cheese toast, add it to an air fryer preheated to 380°F for 2-3 minutes or until the toast is hot and the cheese is bubbling.
Cheese Toast in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you make cheese on toast in an air fryer?
Yes, you can make cheese toast in an air fryer. Just make sure to spread mayonnaise on top of the bread slice before adding the shredded cheese to prevent it from flying off. Alternatively, if you don’t want to use mayo, simply leave your cheese toast in a preheated air fryer for 30 seconds to a minute before cooking. This will allow the cheese to melt and adhere to the bread slice.
7-Minute Air Fryer Cheese Toast (Foolproof Method)
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
- Cut your bread loaf into slices that are ½ inch thick. You can also use any type of bread available.
- Prepare the spread, cheese blend, and softened butter. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. In a separate bowl, combine the shredded mozzarella, cheddar cheese, and minced parsley. In another bowl, have your softened butter ready.
- Put together the cheese toast by first spreading softened butter on the bottom of each bread slice. Flip the slices and spread the mayonnaise mixture on the other side. Then, add the cheese blend on top and press gently.
- Carefully place the assembled cheese toast in the air fryer with the cheese side facing up. Air fry for 4-6 minutes until the cheese melts and the sides turn golden brown and crispy!
- Indulge in your deliciously crispy air fryer cheese toast and enjoy!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-3 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent burning the cheese toast.
- Adding a sticky spread before adding the shredded cheese will act as a binding element.
- If you don’t want to use mayo, make sure to melt the cheese for 30-60 seconds inside the preheated air fryer before resuming cooking. Doing this step will prevent the cheese from flying off the bread.
- To avoid having your toasts get sucked into the heating element, make sure not to overlap them when using a smaller air fryer.
- To quickly soften your butter, get a ramekin or mug and fill it with hot water. Then, immediately dump the water and add your butter and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap. The residual heat will soften the butter in a few minutes.
- Another way to soften your butter is to microwave it at 30% power in 5-second increments. If you see the sides melting, mix the butter until it reaches the desired softness.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer cheese toast recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of toasts you are making. For optimal results, start with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Click here to go back to detailed step-by-step instructions ↑.
Have you tried making air fryer cheese toast?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Are you on Instagram? Share your photo and tag us at @fryitco. We can’t wait to see what you’ve made!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
You can also find us on Facebook & Tiktok 🙂. See you there!
Thank you for your support!