Get ready to savor the crispy goodness of Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Thighs. With a tantalizing blend of garlic, onion, paprika, and the aromatic touch of fresh thyme and rosemary, this easy-to-follow recipe promises juicy, flavorful chicken with perfectly crispy skin. 🍗
Fry it to believe it!
📝 Note: We are currently in the development and testing stage for this air fryer bone-in chicken thighs recipe. Stay tuned for more updates. If you have any tips on making this dish even better, please leave us a comment below. We appreciate your input!
Here’s a video of a similar recipe that we’re going for.
Here are all you need to make the crispy air fried bone in chicken thighs.
- Chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh rosemary
- Avocado oil
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
To add a spicy kick to the spice blend, consider including a pinch or two of cayenne pepper or chili powder.
💡 Pro Tip: You can swap fresh thyme and rosemary with dried herbs if that’s what you have. However, you should halve the amount. For instance, minced fresh rosemary requires ½ teaspoon; use ¼ teaspoon of dried rosemary instead.
How to Cook Bone In Chicken Thighs in Air Fryer?
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, set your desired temperature then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
🚨 Important: Reduce the cooking temperature to 380°F (193°C) if you’re using a 4-quart air fryer or smaller. They are hotter due to the heating element being closer to the food.
2. Prepare ingredients.
Start by gathering all the ingredients needed for this delectable dish.
Combine garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, minced thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a small bowl to create a mouthwatering spice blend.
The fragrant herbs will add an extra layer of flavor to your dish.
3. Season and Prep the Chicken
Pat your chicken thighs dry with paper towels before air frying for crispy results! Drizzle avocado oil over the chicken.
Then, massage the spice blend over the chicken thighs, ensuring each corner is thoroughly coated.
4. Air Fry Bone In Chicken Thighs at 400ºF (204ºC) for 20 – 24 minutes
Place your seasoned and herbed chicken thighs in the basket, skin side down, ensuring they’re in a single layer.
Air fry the chicken thighs at 400ºF (204ºC) for 8 – 10 minutes. Next, carefully flip the thighs and continue air frying for another 12 – 14 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF (74ºC). This ensures they’re cooked through and juicy.
Add 2 – 3 minutes if you want the skin to be super crispy.
5. Make a Tasty Dipping Sauce (Optional)
While the chicken is air frying, you can whip up a delicious dipping sauce. Mix honey and Dijon mustard for a sweet, tangy flavor or creamy garlic mayo sauce.
6. Serve & Enjoy!
That’s how you make an air fried bone in chicken thighs, quick and easy!
Let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
The best part about this recipe is that It’s easy, convenient, and delivers mouthwatering results. Plus, you can effortlessly customize it to suit your taste buds and dietary preferences.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Thighs?
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Quinoa and Avocado Salad
- Air Fried Broccolini
- Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- Classic Coleslaw
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: If you want to freeze them, place your air fried chicken thighs in a freezer-safe container or a resealable bag and store them for up to 2 months. Thaw the chicken overnight in the fridge when you’re ready to cook it.
Fridge: Air fried bone-in chicken thighs can be refrigerated for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Reheating: Finally, when reheating, simply pop them back into your air fryer at 375ºF (190ºC) for about 5 – 8 minutes or until heated.
Tips to Make It Extra Crispy: Dry Brining
To take your Bone in Chicken Thigh Air Fryer to the next level of crispiness, consider dry brining your chicken. It’s a simple technique that involves salting the chicken and letting it rest in the refrigerator for 8 – 24 hours before cooking.
Here’s how to do it:
- Pat them dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of salt on all sides of the chicken thighs (especially the skin), ensuring they’re evenly coated.
- Place the chicken on a plate or tray. Then, with plastic wrap, cover it loosely.
- Refrigerate the chicken for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Doing so will allow the salt to penetrate the meat resulting in juicier and more flavorful chicken with crispier skin.
🚨 Important! If you’ll brine your chicken, skip the salt in the dry rub seasoning.
With these tips and tricks, you’re all set to create a finger-licking good batch of chicken thighs that’ll impress even the toughest food critics. So, fire up your air fryer, get ready to fry it, and believe it! Happy cooking! 🍴
How long to cook bone-in chicken thighs in an air fryer?
Bone-in chicken thighs will take 20 – 24 minutes to cook in an air fryer at 400ºF (204ºC). Please ensure that the food’s internal temperature reaches 165ºF (74ºC) before eating.
Can you air fry bone-in chicken thighs in an air fryer?
Yes, you can air fry bone-in chicken thighs. The air fryer delivers crispy and juicy results, making it an excellent cooking method for chicken thighs. And it requires less effort than other cooking methods!
Easy Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 2 chicken thighs bone-in and skin-on
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- Avocado oil
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 minutes.
- Mix garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl to create a spice blend. Combine the minced herbs as well.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels. Then, drizzle avocado oil and lightly rub the spice blend all over the chicken, ensuring even coverage.
- Place the seasoned and herbed chicken thighs in your air fryer basket, skin side down, ensuring they're in a single layer without crowding the basket.
- Air fry the chicken at 400ºF (204ºC) for 8 – 10 minutes. Then, carefully flip the thighs and air fry for 12 – 14 minutes.
- To ensure your chicken is fully cooked, I recommend using a meat thermometer to check its internal temperature. The temperature should reach 165°F (74°C).
- For extra crispiness, air fry for 2 – 3 more minutes.
- Once done, remove your air fried bone in chicken thighs from the air fryer and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Remember that cooking durations may differ depending on the chicken’s thickness and your air fryer’s size and model. Before serving, ensure it has been cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually to prevent burning the bone-in chicken thighs.
- I used a 6-quart (air fryer) to test the chicken thighs. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you’re making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the air fryer bone in chicken thighs recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!