Prepare yourself for a deliciously crispy treat that’s guilt-free with our recipe for Keto Fried Chicken Air Fryer. With almond flour, eggs, and a perfect blend of seasonings, you’ll savor every bite without the carbs. Fry it to believe it!
Notes: We are currently in the development and testing stage for this keto air fryer fried chicken recipe. Stay tuned for more updates. If you have any tips on making this dish even better, please leave us a comment below. We appreciate your input!
Here’s a video of a similar recipe that we’re going for.
Here are all you need to make keto air fried chicken.
- Chicken legs
- Almond flour
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
You can use chicken thighs or chicken breasts instead of chicken legs. Remember that boneless chicken parts will generally cook faster than bone-in parts.
Typically, boneless chicken thighs only require 12 – 15 minutes. This is based on this cilantro lime recipe, by the way.
Adjust the cooking duration and temperature accordingly when using different chicken cuts to ensure they reach an internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC) and achieve the desired level of crispiness.
If you don’t have almond flour, you can use crushed pork rinds or ground flaxseed as alternatives.
How to Cook Keto Fried Chicken in Air Fryer?
Before You Get Started: This recipe is a breeze, and the air fryer can still create a crispy coating without deep frying. Prepare to impress yourself and your friends with this healthier version of fried chicken.
1. Prepare the ingredients.
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
Mix almond flour, paprika, onion powder, dried thyme, garlic powder, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish or bowl.
In a bowl, crack and beat eggs.
2. Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, set your desired temperature then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
🚨 Important: Reduce the cooking temperature to 380°F (193°C) if you’re using a 4-quart air fryer or smaller. They are hotter due to the heating element being closer to the food.
3. Bread the chicken legs.
Dip the chicken legs into the beaten eggs, ensuring they’re fully coated.
Then, cover them with the almond flour mixture, pressing gently for a crispy and flavorful crust. Make sure that there’s no bald spot, so that every bite will have that wonderful crunch.
4. Air Fry the Keto Chicken for 16 – 20 minutes at 400ºF (204ºC).
Place the coated chicken legs in the air fryer basket and spray them with avocado oil. This step will enhance the golden brown and crispy texture.
📝 Note: When applying avocado oil, ensure that there are no white spots in the breaded chicken. Otherwise, that spot won’t turn brown and crispy.
Air fry the chicken legs at 400ºF (204ºC) for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken legs and continue to air fry for another 7 – 10 minutes. If needed, spray more avocado oil for extra crispiness.
After 20 minutes, check the chicken legs’ internal temperature using an instant-read thermometer. It should reach 165ºF (74ºC), and the juices should run clear with no pink meat.
If it’s not up to temperature, add 2 – 4 more minutes of cooking time. You can also increase the duration if you want an extra crispy keto fried chicken.
5. Serve and Enjoy!
Once cooked, remove the keto fried chicken from the air fryer. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Then, serve and enjoy with your favorite keto-friendly dipping sauce or alongside a side salad or cauliflower rice.
That’s how you make an air fried keto chicken, quick and easy!
Now, it’s time to cook and enjoy your flavorful and healthy keto fried chicken air fryer! With this easy-to-follow recipe and delightful sides, you’re in for a treat that will keep you returning for more. Fry it to believe it!
What to Serve with Keto Fried Chicken Air Fryer?
Pair your keto fried chicken with these delicious sides and sauces for a complete meal:
- Cauliflower Mash: Creamy and satisfying, this low-carb side is perfect for replacing traditional mashed potatoes.
- Keto Coleslaw: A refreshing and crunchy coleslaw that complements the crispy chicken perfectly.
- Garlic Butter Broccoli: Tender and garlicky broccoli florets are nutritious and flavorful.
- Avocado Lime Sauce: Creamy and tangy, this sauce adds a zesty kick to your chicken.
- Ranch Dressing: A classic dipping sauce that adds extra richness to your meal.
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: You can freeze any leftover keto fried chicken for up to 2 months. To reheat, Thaw your drumsticks overnight in the refrigerator for the best results. Reheat in a preheated air fryer at 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 – 7 minutes or until warmed through.
Fridge: The air fried keto chicken can last up to 3 days in the fridge. To reheat, pop them in the air fryer at 350ºF (177ºC) for 5 – 7 minutes to restore that crispy texture.
Is air-fried chicken keto?
Yes, air-fried chicken can be keto-friendly. The cooking method uses hot air to create a crispy texture without excessive oil, making it a healthier option. However, it’s essential to ensure the chicken coating and seasoning are low in carbs and free from high-carb breading to keep it in line with the keto diet.
Easy Keto Fried Chicken Air Fryer
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Avocado oil
- Create the breading. Mix almond flour, paprika, onion powder, dried thyme, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish or bowl.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk them until well beaten.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF (204ºC).
- Bread the chicken legs. First, dip the chicken legs into the beaten eggs, ensuring they're fully coated. Then, cover the chicken legs with the almond flour mixture, pressing gently to adhere the flour and seasonings to the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to the air fryer basket in a single layer. Spray the breaded chicken legs with avocado oil. There should be no white spots.
- Air fry the keto chicken at 400ºF (204ºC) for 16 – 20 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, flip the chicken legs and spray more avocado oil on top if necessary. Continue air frying until the chicken legs reach an internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- Once done, transfer the keto fried chicken to a plate lined with paper towels to remove any excess oil. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite keto-friendly dipping sauce, a side salad, or some cauliflower rice for a satisfying meal.
- Remember that cooking durations may differ depending on the chicken’s thickness and your air fryer’s size and model. Before serving, ensure it has been cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC).
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 380°F (193°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- You can skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually to prevent burning the keto fried chicken.
- I used a 6-quart (air fryer) to test the keto fried chicken. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the air fryer keto fried chicken recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!