Recreate a Chinese takeout classic with this crisp and delicious Air Fryer Crab Rangoon recipe! It’s crispy on the outside with a creamy, umami-rich filling. 🤯 Fry it, to believe it!
Crab Rangoon is a gourmet seafood appetizer that has become a staple in many Chinese American restaurants.
They are comprised of a creamy crab and onion filling wrapped in a crispy wonton and are usually served with sweet and sour sauce.
We absolutely love this addicting dish and knew we could make an awesome version in the air fryer. (We were right! 😜)
And guess what?
It’s super easy to make!
🍀 Bonus: We’ll also teach you how to upgrade your sweet and sour sauce for your air fryer crab rangoon.
Table of Contents
Crab Rangoon Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
Here are all you need to make crispy air fried crab rangoons from scratch.
- Crab meat
- Cream cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Wonton wrappers
Special Crab Rangoon Dip
- Sweet chili sauce
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Toasted sesame oil
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
In general, we found that refrigerated, pre-cooked crab meat or imitation crab meat was better than canned crab meat. Something about the canned crab meat just wasn’t as delicious as the refrigerated version.
The dipping sauce has just 4 ingredients but really makes a difference when serving the crab rangoon. The salty soy sauce, the sweet chili sauce and the hit of vinegar come together for an irresistible dipping sauce that perfectly complements the creamy, crunchy wontons!
👩🏼🍳 Pro Tip: Allow your cream cheese to come to room temperature before using it in the filling so that it’s easier to mix everything together!
How to Cook Crab Rangoon in an Air Fryer?
A benefit of using the air fryer was that the crab rangoon got incredibly crunchy and flaky with lesser oil. Considering that this dish is usually deep-fried, using an air fryer helps to reduce some of the calories!
Here’s a step by step process on making homemade crab wontons.
1. Mince green onions.
Carefully mince the green onions and set aside.
2. Chop crab meat into small cubes.
Carefully chop the crab meat into ½ inch size pieces. You want the pieces to be big enough that you’ll get a distinct bite of crab in the filling when enjoying the wontons, so keep them around ½ inch in size.
You can also use canned crab meat, however, based on our tests, we found out that crab sticks are way tastier.
3. Mix the crab wonton filling.
In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and black pepper until the mixture is smooth and well-mixed.
Then, fold in the crab meat and scallions, being careful not to break up the crab meat.
4. Preheat your air fryer to 370°F (187°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat mode, you can simply set the temperature to 370°F (187°C) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
Or you can skip this step by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time until your crab wontons become slightly golden and crispy.
5. Fold the crab wontons.
While the air fryer is preheating, assemble the crab rangoon.
- Put a few tablespoons of water into a small bowl.
- Remove one wonton wrapper from the packaging and lay it flat.
- Scoop one tablespoon of filling into the center of the wrapper.
- Then, using your finger dipped in water, wet the edges of the wrapper on all 4 sides.
- Grab two opposite corners of the wonton wrapper, pull up to the center and pinch to seal. Repeat with the other two corners, pinching to seal and creating a purse-shape, with all 4 sides of the wrapper coming up to the center.
Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers and filling.
You could also watch the whole process in the recipe video ↑.
6. Air fry crab wontons for 8-10 minutes.
When the air fryer is fully preheated, add the crab wontons in a single layer and air fry until crisp and lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
(Optional) For extra crispy golden finish, lightly brush the crab rangoons with oil.
📝 Note: I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
7. Prepare the crab rangoon sauce.
While the wontons are air-frying, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, combine sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and toasted sesame oil.
🤩 Insider Tip: We HIGHLY encourage you to purchase a tiny whisk, if you don’t already have one. Is it really necessary? Probably not, but it does make whisking small amounts of things, like this sauce, extra-satisfying. And tiny whisks are so darn cute!
8. Serve & enjoy!
When the fresh crab rangoon are fully crisped and cooked, carefully transfer them to a plate and serve with the dipping sauce. Enjoy!!
Conventional Oven Instructions
If you’re serving these at a party, (since they are a perfect party dish), you can do them in batches:
Preheat your oven to 200°F. Line a sheet tray with a baking rack. When the first round of wontons comes out, put them on the rack-lined baking sheet and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Repeat with any additional rounds of wontons you’re making and you can easily make a large amount of these and serve them all at once!
💡Pro Tip: To serve with style, chop some extra scallions and sprinkle the plate of crab rangoon with them. Slice the scallions on a bias, or a sharp angle, to get little diamond-shaped slices rather than circles.
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Once the wontons are completely cooled, add to an airtight container. They can be stored, frozen, for up to 2 months.
Fridge: Once the wontons are completely cooled, add to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating: To reheat leftover crab wontons, preheat the air fryer to 370°F (187°C). Then, the crab rangoon and air fry until they are thoroughly heated through and crispy again, about 3-5 minutes.
Air Fryer Crab Rangoon FAQs
Can you air fry crab rangoon?
Yes, you can air fry crab rangoon from scratch or from frozen. If you’re making one from scratch, air fry them for 8-10 minutes at 370°F (187°C). If you’re cooking from frozen, add 2-4 minutes.
How to air fry crab rangoon?
To air fry crab rangoon, preheat your air fryer to 370°F (187°C), then cook them for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden and crispy.
How long does it take to cook crab rangoon in the air fryer?
It takes about 8-10 minutes to crisp up crab rangoons at 370°F (187°C).
How many calories are there in a single crab rangoon?
A single crab rangoon may contain 70-80 calories.
How to cook frozen crab rangoon in air fryer?
For frozen crab rangoon, the suggested air fryer cooking time is 370°F (187°C) for 10-15 minutes. If you don’t want to make it crispy, reduce 5 minutes.
The Tastiest Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 120 grams imitation crab meat or canned crab meat
- ½ cup cream cheese (125 grams)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons green onion finely chopped
Crab Rangoon Dip
- 4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Slice green onions finely.
- Chop crab sticks into small chunks. As an alternative you can also use canned crab meat.
- Prepare crab rangoon filling. In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, crab meat, green onions, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Preheat your air fryer to 370°F (190°C).
- Assemble crab wontons: Step 1: Lay your wonton wrapper flat on a chopping board; Step 2: Scoop 1 tablespoon of crab wonton filling in the middle; Step 3: Apply water to the sides of the wonton wrapper using your finger; Step 4: Seal the sides of the crab rangoon by folding the corners together and pinch it.
- Air fry the crab rangoon for 8-10 minutes. First, lightly brush the crab rangoon with cooking oil or oil spray. Then, add crab wonton into the air fryer basket. Space them out for even cooking. Cook until slightly brown and crispy.
- While cooking the crab rangoons in the air fryer, prepare the crab rangoon dip by mixing sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.
- Serve and enjoy your air fryer crab rangoon!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 370°F (190°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent burning the cream cheese crab wontons.
- Bring your cream cheese to a room temperature for easier mixing.
- Crab sticks (imitation crab meat) taste way better than canned crab meat.
- (Optional) For extra crispy golden finish, lightly brush the crab rangoons with oil before air frying.
- I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this crab rangoon recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the crab rangoon air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!