If you’re craving a protein-packed snack with a unique flavor profile, look no further than these delectable Air Fryer Scotch Eggs. 😋 Fry it, to believe it!
Before you can make an Air Fryer Scotch Eggs, you first have to prepare the main ingredient—boiled eggs.
Do you know that you can make them in the air fryer? Here is how we did it: Air Fryer Boiled Eggs.
Fun Fact: The term ‘scotch’ in scotch eggs does not refer to Scotland but is derived from the word ‘scotched,’ meaning ‘to be coated or wrapped.’ Its origins can be traced back to England.
While it may involve a complex process, the end result is a truly satisfying snack. You’ll experience the delightful crunch of the breading, the savory herb-infused flavors of the breakfast sausage, all surrounding the classic egg at the core. It’s undoubtedly a culinary gift that keeps on delivering.
Bonus: I’ll also share with you a dipping sauce that pairs really well with this English delight.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Air Fryer Scotch Eggs
Here are the ingredients you need to make this delicious snack.
- Ground breakfast sausage
- Hard or soft-boiled, shelled
- All purpose Flour
- Panko bread crumbs
- Cooking oil spray
- Creamy mustard dipping sauce (optional)
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
To be honest, I’m not a big fan of breakfast sausage. Next time, I’d like to use my favorite breakfast sausage—skinless longganisa.
I recommend experimenting with your preferred type of sausage.
Scotch Eggs Air Fryer Recipe Video
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Make Scotch Eggs in the Air Fryer?
To make scotch eggs in the air fryer, follow these nine foolproof steps.
1. Make the boiled eggs beforehand.
Cooking boiled eggs is a process on its own. I would be honest, boiling them would be the most straightforward process. But if you want to, you can also try air frying boiled eggs.
2. Peel and dredge the boiled eggs in flour.
Coating it with flour absorbs the excess moisture, allowing the ground pork sausage to adhere.
3. Wrap the boiled eggs in ground pork sausage.
Portion the pork sausage into six equal parts (assuming you have pound of ground meat.
Flatten each portion into a thin patty, then position a hard-boiled egg in the center of each patty and encase the egg with the sausage, ensuring all sides are sealed.
4. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, set your desired temperature then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
🚨 Important: Reduce the cooking temperature to 360°F (182°C) if you’re using a 4-quart air fryer or smaller. They are hotter due to the heating element being closer to the food.
5. Set up your breading station.
Prepare three shallow bowls: In the first one, add flour; in the next container, prepare an egg wash, then add the Panko breadcrumbs in the last bowl.
6. Coat the sausage-wrapped eggs with breadcrumbs.
Start by dredging the sausage-wrapped egg in another layer of flour. Then coat it in an egg wash and, finally, cover it with a generous layer of Panko breadcrumbs.
Press to ensure they adhere, making sure there are no uncovered spots. Repeat the process for all the remaining eggs.
7. Air fry scotch eggs for 16-18 minutes.
Begin by arranging the uncooked scotch eggs evenly in the preheated air fryer. Next, apply a light spray of high-heat cooking oil, ensuring there are no dry areas.
After 8-9 minutes, flip them over and spray any remaining dry spots. Continue cooking until they achieve a golden brown and crispy texture.
8. Prepare creamy honey mustard sauce.
While the Scotch eggs are air frying, prepare the creamy mustard sauce by combining mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Or if you want something simple, go for a traditional fry sauce. 😉
9. Serve and enjoy your air fried scotch eggs!
Scotch eggs can be served hot or cold, adapting to different occasions. You can present them whole or sliced in halves to reveal the enticing interior.
While creamy honey mustard sauce is the best choice for air fryer scotch eggs, a simple fry sauce or ketchup will do the trick.
They also complement salads, pickles, or chutneys for added flavor. You can even serve them on a bed of greens or with a side of coleslaw for a balanced meal.
Scotch eggs are versatile and suitable for various settings. They’re perfect for picnics, where you can pack them alongside sides for a portable meal. They also make a delightful addition to brunch spreads.
In the UK, they’re a beloved pub snack, often enjoyed with a pint of beer or cider.
Whether as a snack, appetizer, or main course, Scotch eggs can be customized to suit your taste and the occasion at hand.
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: Scotch eggs can be frozen for up to 3 months. To retain moisture and preserve the flavor, freeze them immediately once they have completely cooled down. Place them in a zip-top bag or any airtight container, and it’s a good practice to label them properly.
Fridge: If you have any leftover air-fried Scotch eggs, you can store them in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Reheating Scotch Eggs in the Air Fryer
To reheat Scotch eggs in the air fryer, first preheat your appliance to 360°F (182°C). Once preheated, cook your leftover protein-packed snack for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through. If frozen, extend your cooking time by 2 minutes.
FAQs: Cooking Scotch Eggs in Air Fryer
Can you cook homemade scotch eggs in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook homemade scotch eggs in an air fryer. The air fryer provides a great alternative to deep-frying, as it allows you to achieve a crispy and delicious result with less oil.
How long does it take to cook scotch eggs in the air fryer?
Cooking scotch eggs in the air fryer takes 16-18 minutes, not including the time to make the boiled eggs and putting it all together. If you factor in the prep time and boiling the eggs, it would take more or less 30 minutes.
How to cook scotch eggs in an air fryer?
To cook Scotch eggs in an air fryer, first, wrap your boiled eggs with your choice of ground sausage and coat them with breadcrumbs. Preheat your air fryer to 360°F to 380°F, then cook the Scotch eggs for 16-18 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
How many calories are there in a single scotch egg?
The calorie count in a single Scotch egg can vary but typically ranges from 300 to 400 calories without any sauce.
The Tastiest Air Fryer Scotch Eggs + Perfect Dipping Sauce
- 1 pound ground pork sausage or any sausage flavor
- 6 eggs hard-boiled and shelled
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil spray
Creamy mustard sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ clove garlic minced (optional)
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the boiled eggs in advance. You can air fry or boil them beforehand.
- Next, peel and coat the boiled eggs in flour. This step will help remove excess moisture and help the ground pork sausage adhere to the egg.
- Wrap the boiled eggs in ground pork sausage: First, divide pork sausage into even golf ball-sized portions. Flatten each portion into a thin patty. Place a hard-boiled egg in the middle of each patty and wrap sausage around eggs, sealing all sides.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (193°C). If your air fryer has a capacity of 4 quarts or smaller, please see the note for more info.
- Set up your breading station: Place flour in a small bowl, beaten eggs in another small bowl, and panko on a shallow baking dish or plate.
- Apply breading: Dredge the sausage-wrapped egg in another layer of flour. Then, coat it in an egg wash and, finally, cover it with a generous layer of Panko breadcrumbs. Press to ensure they adhere, making sure there are no uncovered spots. Repeat the process for all the remaining eggs.
- Air fry scotch eggs for 16-18 minutes. Start by spacing out the uncooked scotch eggs in the preheated air fryer. Then, spray them with high-heat cooking oil, ensuring there are no dry areas. Flip them after 8-9 minutes and spray any remaining dry spots. Continue cooking until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the creamy mustard sauce by mixing mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a small bowl until well combined.
- Serve and enjoy your air fryer scotch eggs!
- For 4-quart air fryers and smaller, reduce the cooking temperature to 360°F (182°C). They generate more heat because of the heating element’s proximity to the food.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, set your desired temperature, and then let it run for 4-5 minutes without any food inside.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Vortex Plus to test the Scotch Eggs Air Fryer recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
- You can use any other kind of sausage.
- Spraying with oil is essential for a crispy and golden crust; you can skip this step, but it won’t be as appetizing.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried air frying scotch eggs?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!