These Air Fryer Jalapeño Poppers are the perfect party snack that’s incredibly simple to prepare. They are cheesy, crispy, with a subtle hint of spiciness in every bite. 🤯 Fry it, to believe it!
If you’ve browsed through our recipes before, you know that we love using the air fryer to create quick and tasty appetizers that are guaranteed to please. One of the most classic party appetizers is jalapeño poppers!
We’ve already done some show-stopping Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers, and now we’re back for a more classic take on this favorite dish.
Jalapeño poppers combine the spiciness of the jalapeño pepper with the creaminess of the cheeses and wrap it all together in a crunchy exterior.
Basically, they’re hard NOT to love.
If you’ve had jalapeño poppers out, you probably have had them deep-fried in thick batter. Wet batters don’t work in the air fryer, but don’t fret!
Our solution was to slice the jalapeños in half and only add breadcrumbs to the stuffed portion, not the entire jalapeño. This panko-crusted version is equally as crispy and oh-so-satisfying as the original.
🔥 Hot Tip: If you want the poppers to be extra spicy, leave the seeds in and sprinkle the jalapeños with cayenne pepper before adding the filling.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Jalapeño Poppers
For a dish that’s so delicious, you’ll be shocked at how few ingredients you need!
- Jalapeño peppers
- Cream cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Green onion
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
For the breadcrumbs, we recommend panko because it has the best texture, but if you only have regular breadcrumbs, those work too!
Jalapeño Poppers Air Fryer Recipe Video
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Jalapeno Poppers in the Air Fryer?
This air fryer jalapeno popper recipe is super quick and easy—so much so that it’s bound to become a staple for entertaining. In less than 20 minutes, you can have a whole plate of this crispy, cheesy, spicy poppers on the table and ready to be devoured!
1. Slice the jalapeño peppers in half.
Carefully slice each jalapeño in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds.
🌶️ Spicy Tip: For an extra kick, leave the seeds and some of the core intact. If you want yours even hotter, you can add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper after coating the jalapeno poppers with breadcrumbs.
And, don’t forget to wash your hands well and don’t touch your face or eyes! 😉
At this point, you can also chop your green onions.
2. Prepare the cream cheese filling.
In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, shredded mozzarella, salt and chopped green onions. Use a spatula to fold the ingredients together until they are well-combined.
💡Pro Tip: Make sure you take out the cream cheese in advance so that it’s soft and easy to work with! No time? Add the cream cheese brick to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on 50% power for 10-15 seconds until softened but not liquidy.
3. Stuff the sliced jalapeños with the cream cheese mix.
Using a spoon or small spatula, fill each jalapeño cavity with the cream cheese filling. Smooth the filling so that the top of the filling is level with the top of the pepper. Repeat with all pepper halves and remaining filling.
4. Prepare egg wash and bread crumbs.
In a shallow, wide bowl, beat one egg with a tablespoon of water until smooth. In another shallow wide bowl, add the breadcrumbs.
5. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
🚨 Important: Reduce the cooking temperature to 380°F (193°C) if you’re using a 4-quart air fryer or smaller. They are hotter due to the heating element being closer to the food.
6. Coat the jalapeño poppers with breadcrumbs.
Coat the filled-side of each popper by first dipping the filling side of the pepper into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere the breadcrumbs evenly. Repeat with remaining peppers.
7. Air fry jalapeño poppers for 6-8 minutes.
When the air fryer is preheated, add the poppers, filling/breadcrumb-side up and air fry until golden and crispy, about 6-8 minutes.
I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
8. Serve and enjoy your air fried jalapeño poppers!
When the jalapeño poppers are done, carefully transfer them to a plate. Allow to sit 1-2 minutes to cool slightly before enjoying!
Jalapeno poppers are one of those foods that are totally perfect on their own; they have the crispy outside, creamy inside, and slightly spicy pepper to marry all the flavors together.
If you want to garnish your plate of poppers for a party, consider sprinkling on some extra chopped green onions or fresh cilantro!
Plus, we can’t help but recommend the classic drink pairing-a beer! Beer perfectly complements the flavors of the poppers and makes for a great start to any party.
Enjoy your air-fried jalapeño poppers!
Freezing & Storage
Freezing: When the poppers have cooled completely, add to an airtight container in single layers separated by wax or parchment paper. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Fridge: When the poppers have cooled completely, add to an airtight container in single layers separated by wax or parchment paper. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheating: To reheat, preheat the air fryer to 375ºF. Once preheated, add the poppers, filling-side up, and air fry until reheated and crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
The Best Air Fryer
If you’ve ever questioned the reliability of your current air fryer, it’s time to meet the Instant Vortex Air Fryer – your new kitchen sidekick! Picture effortless cooking, thanks to its 6 automatic functions. PLUS, it’s dishwasher safe, making cleaning a snap. 🤩 Don’t wait, upgrade your air fryer today!
Jalapeno Poppers in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you air fry jalapeño poppers?
Yes, you can air fry jalapeño poppers for a delicious and crispy result. In fact, it’s one of the quickest ways to make these delightful appetizers.
How long does it take to cook jalapeño poppers in the air fryer?
Air frying jalapeño poppers will only take 6-8 minutes, which is significantly shorter than baking them in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 400°F (200°C). However, please note that the cooking time may vary depending on your specific air fryer and the number of servings you are preparing.
How to air fry jalapeño poppers?
To air fry jalapeño poppers, begin by slicing your jalapeños and filling them with a cream cheese mixture. Then, coat them with breadcrumbs for an added crispiness. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (204°C) and cook the poppers for 6-8 minutes until they turn golden brown. That’s all there is to it!
Easy Air Fryer Jalapeño Poppers Recipe (+Video)
- 6 Jalapeño peppers
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon green onion chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Slice the jalapeño peppers in half after thoroughly washing them. Then, using a small spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane. Optional: For extra kick, you can leave some of the white membrane and seeds.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling. Mix the softened cream cheese with mozzarella cheese, chopped spring onion, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Fill the sliced and jalapeño peppers with the cream cheese mix. Just fill them flush to the sides of the jalapeños to prevent overflowing when cooking.
- Then, set up the breading station. In a medium bowl, beat an egg until smooth. In a separate container, add the Panko-style breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C).
- Meanwhile, coat the stuffed portion of the jalapeños with breadcrumbs. First, dip each jalapeño into the egg wash, cut side down. Then, drain off any excess egg wash and transfer the jalapeño to the breadcrumbs gently pressing to coat the stuffed portion with breadcrumbs.
- Air fry jalapeno poppers for 6-8 minutes. First, arrange the jalapeño poppers in a single layer, and spray them with high heat cooking oil. Then cook them until the crust becomes golden and crispy.
- Serve your air fryer jalapeño poppers warm! Enjoy!
- For smaller air fryers (4-quart and below), reduce the cooking temperature to 380°F (193°C). They generate more heat because of the heating element’s proximity to the food.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 400°F (204°C) and then let it cook for 4-5 minutes without food.
- To prevent the cheese from oozing out, it is important to cook the jalapeño poppers for the shortest amount of time possible. Therefore, preheating your air fryer is a necessary step.
- For an added kick, sprinkle the jalapeños with cayenne pepper before filling them and after adding the breading mix.
- To soften cream cheese, you can take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the temperature of your kitchen. Alternatively, you can remove the cream cheese from its packaging, place it in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave it on a low power setting for 15-20 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until it reaches the desired softness. Another method is to submerge the sealed cream cheese block in warm water and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping it every 5 minutes or so.
- Avoid touching your face or your eyes after having worked with jalapeños or any other peppers! The oils from the peppers can be skin and eye irritants, so wash your hands well after handling the peppers.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test the air fryer jalapeno poppers recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the jalapeño poppers air fryer recipe?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!