Instead of throwing out your potato peels, make this ultra crispy and super tasty air fryer potato skin chips! Fry it, to believe it!
🤯 Fun Fact: Did you know that potato skins contain five to ten times more antioxidants than potato flesh?
Don’t believe me? Here’s a study to prove it.
Now that I have your attention, let’s not let those potato peels go to waste and turn them into something tasty–air fryer potato skin chips!
Potato Skin Chips Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
Apart from the potato peels, you only need vegetable oil and salt to make crispy potato skin chips.
- Potato skins (from 4 potatoes)
- Vegetable oil
Flavor & Dip Options
- Parmesan Cheese & Parsley
- New York Style Veggie Fries Dip
- Cajun Seasoning
- Cheddar Seasoning
- Salt & Vinegar Seasoning
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
And guess what?
You can experiment with insane amounts of flavors. You can use your cheese popcorn flavoring, make a New York Fries style dip, or if you don’t have that much time, just go with a salted potato skins served with ketchup on the side.
Salsas will also work.
Oh, cheese dip!
Great, now I’m craving for pop as well.
As a general rule, use whatever you have in your pantry or fridge. 😉
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Potato Peels
Don’t have time to read? Watch this short recipe video:
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
Dirt-Free Potato Peels
Since we’re turning the potato peels into a crispy treat, we want our potatoes to be squeaky clean. It’s highly recommended to scrub your potatoes with a vegetable brush. But if you don’t have one, you can rinse it over and over until the water becomes clear.
Follow this step-by-step guide for a dirt-free potato skins.
- To loosen the dirt, soak your potatoes in cold water for 15-30 minutes.
- Under cold running water, scrub the potatoes using vegetable brush.
- Once there’s no visible dirt, you can now peel your potatoes.
- Place the potato skins in a large bowl of cold water. Move them around to agitate any persistent dirt. Rinse 3-4 times or until water becomes clear.
- Transfer the potato peels into a salad spinner, and spin to dry.
- Lay them on a baking sheet with a paper towel. Pat the potato skins dry.
- For an even crispier finish, let the potato skins dry for an hour or two.
You can now season and air fry your potato peels.
How to make Air Fryer Potato Skin Chips?
Making this potato skin chips air fryer recipe is super easy. You just need 3 ingredients at most, and if you have already washed your potato skins thoroughly, you’re left with just four more steps.
However, if you’re starting from scratch, here’s how to make potato skin snacks from washing your potato to crispy-licious chips.
1. Wash the potato skins thoroughly.
To wash the potato skins, soak them in cold water for 10-15 minutes and move them around to loosen any dirt. Rinse them four to five times until the water becomes clear, then drain them.
2. Dry the potato skins.
After washing the potato skins, dry them using a salad spinner and pat them with a kitchen towel.
For an extra crispy finish, you can let them dry for an hour or two or perhaps leave them overnight.
But if you can’t wait that long, let’s proceed to the next step.
3. Preheat the air fryer to 350ºF (177ºC).
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat mode, you can simply set the temperature to 400ºF (204ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes. Or you can skip this step by adding 2-5 minutes to your cooking time until you achieve a golden brown finish.
It’s ideal to preheat your air fryer but you can also skip it by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time.
4. Coat the potato skins with vegetable oil.
While the air fryer is preheating, transfer your potato skins into a large mixing bowl and drizzle them with vegetable oil. Toss to coat the potato peels until fully covered.
This step is completely optional. However, based on our tests, coating small amounts of oil makes any air fried dish crispier.
5. Air fry the potato skin chips for 13-15 minutes.
Air fry the potato skin chips for 13-15 minutes at 350ºF (177ºC). Shake every 3-4 minutes. Cook until crispy and golden.
If you’re air frying more potato peels than this recipe, say your air fryer basket is half full, adjust the cooking time to 20-25 minutes.
📝 Note: I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making.
6. Season the air fried potato skin chips.
After air frying your potato peels, transfer them into a large bowl, then season the potato skin chips with salt or any other seasoning you like. Toss the air fryer potato skin chips until fully coated.
7. Serve & enjoy!
Now that’s how you can make air fryer potato chips with seven easy steps.
You can serve it with a side of ketchup or you can try some of these seasonings.
Here are other flavoring options we tried.
Parmesan Cheese & Parsley – Simply grate parmesan cheese and top it off with finely chopped parsley.
New York Fries Style Veggie Fries Dip – Scoop one tablespoon of sour cream and Cheez Whiz, then chop up some spring onions. For this recipe we used a nacho salsa dip, since we already have it in our fridge.
5 Guys Style Cajun Seasoning – Just add 2 teaspoons of the premade cajun seasoning. Or you could also make one, it’s a piece of cake.
Salt & Vinegar Seasoning – Add 2 teaspoons of store bought salt & vinegar popcorn seasoning.
Cheddar Seasoning – You need 2 tablespoons of this cheese powder to fully cover the potato skin chips.
My all time favorite is the New York Style fries dip.
Leave us a note down below.
The Best Air Fryer
If you’ve ever questioned the reliability of your current air fryer, it’s time to meet the Instant Vortex Air Fryer – your new kitchen sidekick! Picture effortless cooking, thanks to its 6 automatic functions. PLUS, it’s dishwasher safe, making cleaning a snap. 🤩 Don’t wait, upgrade your air fryer today!
Air Fryer Potato Skin Chips FAQs
Can you make potato skin chips in an air fryer?
Yes, you can make potato skin chips in the air fryer. Crisping up potato peels is way faster in the air fryer than a conventional oven.
How to air fry potato skin chips?
To air fry potato skin chips, first wash the potato peels thoroughly. Then pat them dry and coat with neutral cooking oil and air fry for 10-15 minutes at 350ºF (177ºC) or longer depending on the amount of serving.
How long does it take to cook potato skin chips in the air fryer?
It will take 15-20 minutes to crisp up potato skin chips in the air fryer. The cooking time will depend on the amount of serving you are making.
What’s the cooking temperature of potato peel chips in the air fryer?
Based on our tests, 350ºF (177ºC) will work best for air frying potato peels.
Super Crispy Air Fryer Potato Skin Chips
- Potato skins from 4 potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ⅙ tsp salt
Parmesan & Parsley Toppings (optional)
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
New York Style Veggie Fries Dip (optional)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp Cheese Whiz or nacho cheese dip
- 1 tbsp green onion chopped
Other Seasonings & Dips
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp salt & vinegar seasoning
- 1 tbsp cheddar seasoning
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- Wash the potato skins by soaking it in cold water for 10 – 15 minutes. Move them around to loosen up the dirt. Rinse 4-5 times until the water becomes clear. Drain and proceed with the next step.
- Dry the potato peels using a salad spinner and pat them dry with a kitchen towel. For extra crispy finish, you can go as far as letting them dry for an hour or two.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350ºF (177ºC).
- In a large bowl, add the potato skins and drizzle vegetable oil. Toss to coat the potato peels until fully covered. Then, transfer to your air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 13-15 minutes at 350ºF (177ºC). Shake every 3-4 minutes. Cook until crispy and golden.
- Transfer into a large bowl, then season the potato skin chips with salt or any seasoning you prefer. Toss the air fryer potato skin chips until fully coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 350ºF (177ºC) and then let it cook for 3 minutes.
- You can also skip preheating by adding 2-4 minutes to your cooking time. Increment gradually, to prevent burning the potato peels.
- Using a vegetable brush is highly recommended.
- Important: If you’re going to use store-bought seasoning, DO NOT season the potato peels with salt before air frying them. Most ready-made flavorings already contain sodium.
- If your air fryer basket is half full, cook the potato skin chips for 20-25 minutes. The more skin chips you’re making the longer it will take to crisp up.
- For extra crispy finish, let the potato peels dry out in a well ventilated room for an hour or two after patting them dry with a kitchen towel.
- I used a 6-quart air fryer to test the potato skin chips. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making air fryer potato skin chips?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!