No matter whether you prefer your eggs over easy, over medium, or over well, this air fryer eggs recipe is your ultimate ticket to egg-cellence. 😉 Fry it, to believe it!
We’ve already covered how to cook boiled eggs in the air fryer. Now, I’m going to teach you how to make the perfect air fryer fried egg.
Since flipping an air fryer egg isn’t possible, it technically becomes a sunny-side-up with varying levels of doneness based on your cooking time.
By the end of this cooking guide, you’ll master the art of creating over easy, over medium, and over well fried eggs in your air fryer.
Plus, I’ll share a few more delightful ways to enjoy eggs in the air fryer beyond boiled eggs. (Stay tuned for updates as we complete shooting all the egg recipes!)
Before we embark on this egg-shell-ent recipe, here are a few notes to keep in mind:
Unless you’re cooking six or more eggs, it’s best to avoid frying eggs using parchment paper or a fitted air fryer liner. These materials can disrupt heat distribution and may even fly off and touch the heating element, causing smoke.
Lastly, steer clear of using egg rings in the air fryer, as most of them are not designed for this purpose and may melt during cooking.
Now that we’ve got those issues straightened out, let’s get frying!
Air Fryer Eggs Ingredients
- Neutral cooking oil
- Pepper (optional)
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
It doesn’t get any simpler than that.
If you’d like, you can also sprinkle in some paprika for an added burst of flavor.
What You need
Cooking eggs in the air fryer can be a bit challenging if you don’t have a ramekin, small cake pan, or silicone cake molds.
Here’s what will happen if you attempt to air fry eggs using an air fryer liner.
Air fryer liners or parchment paper are more suitable for making egg frittatas or omelets. As long as the entire surface of the paper is covered with eggs, its weight will be enough to keep the paper from flying off.
Here are some of the best air fryer egg pans:
I ended up purchasing a small cake pan (about 4-inch in diameter), but no matter how much oil I use, the eggs still stick to it, making cleaning a huge headache. In hindsight, I should have returned it and opted for a silicone mold instead.
Recipe Video: Air Fryer Sunny Side Up Eggs
Don’t have time to read? We made this short recipe video just for you. 😉
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Fried Eggs in the Air Fryer?
Follow these five simple steps to make eggs in the air fryer.
1. Grease the egg mold.
Lightly brush your chosen egg mold with neutral cooking oil.
😎 Make Your Mold Non Stick:
Season your cake pan with oil before using it.
To season the egg mold, preheat your oven to 400°F (204°C) and bake the mold for 10 minutes. Afterward, brush the inner part of the mold with oil and bake it again for 5 minutes. Allow the mold to cool down, and it will be ready for use.
Another effective method to prevent the egg from sticking is by adding a teaspoon of oil to each mold. I understand that air frying is typically aimed at limiting the use of oil, so another option would be to use a silicone mold, which naturally has a non-stick surface.
2. Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (177°C) along with the egg mold.
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 350°F or 177°C and then let it cook for 5 minutes without food.
We’re preheating the cake pan too, to prevent the egg from sticking.
3. Crack the eggs into each mold and season them.
🤩 Foodie Hack: Use a small dipping sauce bowl to carefully transfer each egg into the mold, as cracking them directly can be a bit messy.
4. Cook the air fryer eggs for 5-10 minutes, depending on the desired doneness.
Suggested Cooking Times:
Over Easy (runny yolk): 4-5 minutes
Over Medium (slightly runny yolk): 6-7 minutes
Over Well (hard yolk): 8-10 minutes
I used a 6-quart air fryer and a metal egg mold to test this recipe. Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer, the type of mold you have and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
5. Serve and enjoy your air fried eggs!
One popular way to enjoy a fried egg is by placing it on top of a toasted English muffin or crusty bread, accompanied by crispy bacon or ham. This combination creates a classic breakfast sandwich, where the creamy yolk blends with the savory elements for a mouthwatering bite.
Another fantastic way to enjoy an air fryer fried egg is by serving it on a bed of seasoned rice or quinoa, alongside sautéed vegetables. The runny yolk acts as a rich and flavorful sauce, coating the grains and vegetables for a delightful fusion of tastes and textures.
Whether incorporated into a breakfast sandwich or served atop grains and vegetables, fried eggs provide a delicious and versatile foundation for creating a range of flavorful dishes.
Recommended Cooking Times & Temperature
Here are the suggested cooking times and temperatures for making air fryer fried eggs, depending on the desired doneness of the yolk.
|Over Easy||4-5 minutes||350°F (177°C)||Runny yolk|
|Over Medium||6-7 minutes||350°F (177°C)||Slightly runny yolk|
|Over Well||8-10 minutes||350°F (177°C)||Firm yolk|
For the most accurate results and faster cooking time, it’s highly recommended to preheat your air fryer.
The cooking time may vary depending on the mold you used, your specific type of air fryer, and the number of servings you are making. It’s recommended to start checking your eggs around the 5-minute mark to ensure they reach your desired level of doneness.
By the way, I used a 6-quart air fryer and a 4-inch metal cake round to test this recipe.
The Best Air Fryer
If you’ve ever questioned the reliability of your current air fryer, it’s time to meet the Instant Vortex Air Fryer – your new kitchen sidekick! Picture effortless cooking, thanks to its 6 automatic functions. PLUS, it’s dishwasher safe, making cleaning a snap. 🤩 Don’t wait, upgrade your air fryer today!
Fried Eggs in Air Fryer FAQs
Can you air fry eggs?
Can you air fry sunny side up?
Yes, you can air fry sunny side up eggs; however, you’ll need a ramekin or a small cake pan to achieve this. An air fryer liner won’t suffice, especially if you’re making four fried eggs or less.
How to air fry eggs?
How long does it take to air fry eggs?
It will take approximately 5-10 minutes to cook eggs in the air fryer using a small cake pan at 350°F (177°C). However, the cooking time depends on your preferred doneness of the egg yolk. The longer you cook the egg, the less runny the yolk will be.
Foolproof Air Fryer Eggs (Sunny-Side Up)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil neutral
- ⅛ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika optional
- Grease your egg mold: Brush your oven-safe 4-inch cake pan with high neutral cooking oil.
- Add the molds into the air fryer basket, and preheat it to 350°F (177°C). Yes, we’re preheating the molds as well to prevent the eggs from sticking.
- Once preheated, crack the eggs into each mold. Then sprinkle it with salt and/or pepper. If you like you can also add some paprika.
- Cook the air fryer eggs for 5-10 minutes or until you reach your desired level of doneness. For over easy, cook for 4-5 minutes; for over medium, cook for 6-7 minutes; for over well, cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your air fried eggs! They make a fantastic breakfast item that pairs wonderfully with bacon, sausage, hash browns, or a simple toast.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 350°F (177°C) and then let it cook for 3-4 minutes without food.
- For more accurate results and faster cooking times, it is highly recommended to preheat your air fryer.
- A 4-inch round mold is an essential accessory for making air fried eggs. Ramekin will also do the trick. If you can find a small silicone cake pan, much better.
- Using an air fryer liner is not the best option for making air fryer eggs, especially when cooking just a handful of eggs. The paper may fly off, disrupting the heat distribution, or even worse, come into contact with the heating element and create smoke.
- Egg rings are typically not oven safe, so before using one, be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions or guidelines.
- Easy Transfer: Crack the eggs into a small bowl before transferring them to the mold.
- If you’re using a metal mold, be sure to add at least 1 teaspoon of neutral cooking oil in each mold to prevent the egg from sticking.
- Suggested Cooking Times: Over Easy: 4-5 minutes; Over Medium: 6-7 minutes; Over Well: 8-10 minutes.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Vortex Plus to test cooking eggs in an air fryer . Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on your air fryer, the mold you have and the number of eggs you are cooking. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making air fried eggs?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!