Here’s our take on the viral Tiktok Smashed Brussels Sprouts Air Fryer Recipe with a spicy twist. Super easy, no boiling required. Fry it, to believe it! 😋
I’ve been seeing this viral Tiktok recipe on my social media feed, and I finally get to try it and share it with you.
Most of the recipes from the food bloggers I follow were boiled for at least 10 minutes. Instead of boiling, I air-fried the Brussels sprouts twice.
The result was super crispy, and tasty Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts!
Well, the least that I can say is… It’s not just hype.
It’s a fantastic vegetarian snack that you can pair with ranch dipping sauce. Yummm!!!! 😋
Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make the Smashed Brussels Sprouts Air Fryer Recipe.
- Small to medium size Brussels sprouts
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Chili pepper flakes
📣 You can find the exact measurements and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card down below.
When picking Brussels sprouts, opt for the smaller size. Bigger ones are more difficult to mash and will take up most of the space in your air fryer.
Olive oil is an excellent choice for this recipe because it has a strong flavor that can mask the Brussels sprouts’ bitterness. However, most cooking oil will work.
I love spicy food, so adding a bit of chili flakes definitely works for me.
If you’re not that type, you can substitute it with paprika.
It would have been nicer if the cheese melted in our air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts, but it didn’t. You can opt for cheddar, swiss, or mozzarella cheese if you want your version to have a crispy, cheesy crust or perhaps a pizza-like stringy cheese.
Or if you’re vegan, you can absolutely skip this ingredient.
😋 More Tasty Brussels Sprouts Recipes
ASMR Recipe Video: Air Fried Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Don’t have time to read?
Watch this Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts recipe video, ASMR style.
*You can find the exact amount of ingredients and adjust the number of servings in the recipe card below.
How to Cook Smashed Brussels Sprouts in the Air Fryer?
Making Smashed Brussels Sprouts in the air fryer will only take you more or less 20 minutes. To make this recipe even easier, we’re going to air fry the Brussels sprouts twice instead of boiling it.
Let’s get started!
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350ºF (177ºC) for 4 minutes.
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheating option, you can set the temperature to 350ºF (177ºC) and then let it cook for 4 minutes.
You may also skip this step by adding 2-minute increments to your cooking time until you achieve a golden brown finish.
2. Clean and trim the Brussels sprouts.
Trim the remaining stem of the Brussels sprouts and remove any outer leaves with discoloration. Rinse it, then it’s ready for the first round of air frying.
💡 Pro Tip: Pick small-to-medium-sized Brussels sprouts. It’s more manageable when smashed. Bigger ones will end up looking like pancakes.
3. Air Frying Part 1: 350ºF (176ºC) for 10 – 12 minutes.
Instead of boiling the Brussels sprouts for 10 minutes, we’ll air fry them at medium heat for 10-12 minutes. This makes it quicker as you won’t need to wash any other cookware or a huge cooking pan.
💡Pro Tip: Boiling Brussels sprouts in salted water are easier to mash and tastier.
4. Season the Brussels sprouts.
Once the Brussels sprouts become tender, it’s time to take them out and add the spices.
In a large bowl, place the Brussels sprouts, then add the olive oil, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, and chili flakes. Toss all the ingredients until the Brussels sprouts are evenly covered with those spices.
If you don’t want the extra kick from the chili flakes, you can substitute it with paprika or skip it completely.
5. Smash the Brussels sprouts.
Now let’s do the mashing.
Get a stable flat surface, then mash the Brussels sprouts one by one.
At first, I tried using a potato masher. However , it didn’t work. The metal is bending before completely mashing the cruciferous vegetables.
So, I went back to my cupboard and took the toughest-looking glass.
Well, it worked!
It did a better job than my handy dandy potato masher.
It looks unappetizing, but you’re going to change your mind after a few minutes.
Oh, by the way, you can still add more seasoning after mashing the Brussels sprouts. You can make it cheesier if you want 🙂
💡Pro tip: The best tool for flattening Brussels sprouts is the bottom end of a glass, cup, or small bowl with a flat surface or something more solid.
6. Air Frying Part 2: 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 – 8 minutes.
After seasoning and mashing the Brussels sprouts, it’s time to cook them for the last time.
Place the flattened Brussels sprouts in the air fryer, making sure they are not overlapping. Cook them at 400ºF (204ºC) for 5-8 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
📝 Note: We used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making.
7. Serve & enjoy your crispy smashed Brussels sprouts!
That’s how you make an Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts, quick and easy!
It’s crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Serve it with a ranch dip, and you’ll blame yourself for not making more.
Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts
Vegetables with a less desirable taste tend to have the most nutrients.
That statement is true for Brussels sprouts, a good source of essential micronutrients like Vitamin K, C, Folate, and fiber.
Vitamin K is important for blood clotting and bone health.
We are all familiar with vitamin C, which strengthens our immune system.
Folate, also known as vitamin B9, plays a critical role in many bodily functions. It helps the body produce enough red blood cells to carry oxygen. More importantly, it is necessary for DNA synthesis and repair.
Those are some of the reasons why you need to include Brussels sprouts in your diet. It’s a vegetarian bite-sized snack that’s also keto-friendly.
If you like the smashed Brussels sprouts, you might also want to give these amazing air fryer recipes a try.
Alternatively, you can explore additional Brussels sprouts air fryer recipes in this roundup post.
Smashed Brussels Sprouts Air Fryer Recipe FAQs
Should I boil my Brussels sprouts before smashing them?
Boiling Brussels sprouts is optional when making this viral vegetarian snack. Alternatively, you can soften the Brussels sprouts by air frying them at medium heat (350ºF or 176ºC) for 10-12 minutes.
How to make smashed Brussels sprouts crispy?
To make smashed Brussels sprouts crispy, cook them twice. The first round of cooking (either boiling or air frying for 10 minutes at medium heat) will make the Brussels sprouts mashable. Then, you’ll crisp it up by air frying it at high heat, preferably 400ºF (204ºC), for 5 – 8 minutes.
Easy Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- ½ pound small-to-medium sized Brussels sprouts trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon Chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat your air fryer to 350ºF (177ºC) for 4 minutes.
- Clean and trim the Brussels sprouts. Using a sharp knife and a cutting board, carefully cut the base of the Brussels sprouts and remove any outer leaves with discoloration. Then, give it a quick rinse and set it aside for air frying.
- Air Fry the Brussels sprouts at 350ºF (176ºC) for 10 – 12 minutes. Instead of boiling, we'll soften the Brussels sprouts by air frying them at low heat. You can also boil them for a softer mushy core if you want.
- Once the Brussels sprouts become tender, transfer them to a large bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, parmesan cheese, and chili flakes. Toss everything together until the Brussels sprouts are evenly coated in the seasoning mixture.
- After coating the Brussels sprouts with seasoning, transfer them to a flat surface. Then, smash the Brussels sprouts with a glass, mug, or a small bowl with a flat base. I tried using a potato masher, but the Brussels sprouts are still too hard. You can add more seasoning at this stage.
- Transfer smashed Brussels sprouts to the air fryer, ensuring they don't overlap. Air fry the Brussels Sprouts at 400ºF (204ºC) for 5 – 8 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy your crispy air fried smashed Brussels sprouts, garnished with additional chili flakes and parmesan cheese if desired.
- If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat mode, set the temperature to 350ºF (177ºC) and then let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Or you can also skip preheating by adding 2-5 minutes to your overall cooking time.
- Smaller Brussels sprouts will work best, as bigger ones will be harder to mush.
- 1/2 pound of Brussels sprouts will only yield 1 serving. If you want to make this dish as an appetizer for your family, you might need two pounds of Brussels sprouts or more.
- Seasoning the Brussels sprouts before and after mashing them will incorporate more flavor.
- Adding chili flakes is optional. You can substitute it with paprika if you’re not into spicy food.
- You can make it cheesier by using shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese. If you’re vegetarian, you can skip adding it.
- Bacon bits complement Brussels sprouts. It would be a good idea to add it during the mashing process.
- A glass, cup, or small bowl with a flat and solid base will work best on mushing Brussels sprouts.
- This Air Fryer Smashed Brussels sprouts recipe is best served with ranch dipping sauce.
- I used a 6-quart air fryer to test this recipe. Cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer and the number of servings you are making. For optimal results, begin with the lower end of the suggested cooking time. Continue air frying until you achieve a golden brown finish.
Share or save this recipe for later:
Have you tried making the Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts?
Leave us a note, and give this recipe a star rating. Good or bad, we appreciate your opinion. Let’s improve this air fryer recipe as a community!
Or you can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel. We’re constantly uploading easy and tasty air fryer recipe videos, ASMR style.
Thank you for your support!